We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

San Mateo...
5 posts
1 review
Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

Hello all.

I am planning a trip to Ireland in April and need to rent a car. I have heard that the insurance provided by the car rental companies in Ireland is pretty much mandatory and difficult to avoid. I have, however, also heard that some car rental agencies will accept the insurance coverage provided by a World Mastercard. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so which car rental companies might accept such coverage? I would appreciate any input.

Thank you!

273 replies to this topic
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
161 reviews
1. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

Have a look at the Car Rental section on the Top Questions panel, on the right hand side of the forum page

San Mateo...
5 posts
1 review
2. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I have looked at the various posts, and they have been quite helpful. However, I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with any car rental agencies that were either particularly accommodative or particularly unhelpful when attempting to waive the CDW with the insurance coverage provided with a World Mastercard. I would hate to get to Ireland, card and letter in hand, just to have them rejected by the rental agency.

Thanks again.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

You might try thrifty.ie. I'm from Canada, where our Platimum Mastercard and Gold Visa coverage is similar to your World Mastercard (valid in Ireland). I just booked through Thrifty. They are the only provider I could find with very clear explanations of what is required if you wish to use a World Mastercard to decline CDW. It's crystal clear. In addition to the card you need a letter from your credit card company confirming the coverage. No letter = no ability to decline CDW. They will also put a €2000 charge on your credit card (refunded if there is no damage). Otherwise you have to claim back from your credit card company. And there is an additional adminstrative fee of approximately €18. A hassle, yes, but on a 2 week rental its saving me about €600. Having said all this, this is our first trip to Ireland so my comments are based soley upon my research.

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
612 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

Take the insurance. I never do in the US but Budget insisted that we take it in Ireland and frankly, I'm glad we did. We hit a stick (yes, a stick) on one of the country roads and it flew up and and knocked a hole in the casing of the side mirror. A stick!!!! We were glad we didn't have to argue over paying for it when we returned the car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

I recently returned from an 8 day trip to Ireland. I have World Mastercard and declined CDW insurance when I rented from Hertz. I obtained a letter from Mastercard confirming coverage, but was not even asked for it. The agent at the Hertz desk gave us no hassle at all and I got the impression that she was very familiar with the World Mastercard coverage. Still, I would suggest getting the letter just in case.

Our 8 day rental from Hertz for a mid-size car amounted to $270. It would have been much more if we chose the CDW. They did put a temporary charge of 2000 euros on my credit card, but since there was no damage to the car this was not an issue. I was very pleased with the way everything worked out. You might want to check out Hertz. I booked it through the Aer Lingus website where you get better rates than on the main Hertz website. If you are flying with Aer Lingus it may be beneficial to you. Good luck!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
43 posts
6. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

My wife and I are headed to Shannon and the West of Ireland in June for two weeks. We have the World Mastercard and are hoping to take advantage of it's benefits with respect to a car hire.

My question is: If I decline the CDW because of the World Mastercard, do I then also decline the super CDW for the same reason or do I take the super CDW offered by the car hire company or do arrange third party coverage for the super CDW.

Lastly, do some car hire companies refer to CDW as LDW?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

Hi volleyman, if you opt to use your World Mastercard you must decline ALL insurance whether it be CDW or Super CDW. You must also initiate and pay for the entire rental transaction with the World Mastercard. I have never heard of LDW, so I can't help you on that.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
8. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

From Sarnia_Girl, DE on Ireland Forum: The Ins and Outs of Hiring/Renting A Car in Ireland:

http://tinyurl.com/4mrj6ka

European Consumer Centre Ireland: Advice on Renting/Hiring A Car:

http://www.eccireland.ie/topic.php?topic=12

Understanding Car Hire/Rental terminology in Ireland & UK, courtesy of insurance4carhire, web site:

http://tinyurl.com/nvp4ew

Discussion from 2009 and 2010 here on Insurance for Car Rental in Ireland (CDW; Excess/Super CDW); US Credit Cards; Deductibles etc):

http://tinyurl.com/4gtt88e

More on US credit cards here in relation to Car Rental Insurance Coverage in Ireland. Please note: This first article is from 2009.

thefinancebuff.com/rental-car-insurance-opti…

moneycrashers.com/rental-car-insurance-cover…

On the question of LDW: It stands for Loss Damage Waiver:

The Mastercard web site states the following in its FAQs:

www.mastercard.us/support/card-benefits.html

Quote:

Q: What rental car insurance does MasterCard provide on my MasterCard card?

A: Rental insurance differs by location and varies based upon the actual MasterCard card that you have. Please contact the MasterCard Assistance Center at 1-800-307-7309 or 'Collect' by dialing 1-636-722-7111.

End Quote

Personally, I would get everything in writing from the Credit Card company, to be on the safe side.

Another option in terms of renting a car is to go through a broker, such as Nova Car Hire or Kemwel:

http://www.novacarhire.com/

http://www.kemwel.com/

Finally, if you can stand to do more, search for CDW, Super/Excess CDW; Car Rental Insurance and similar on the Ireland TA Forum. Ditto for the coverage or exclusions thereof of car rental insurance for YOUR specific credit card.

Good luck!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
9. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

This (2006) article from the New York Times Practical Traveler Column explains Collision Damage Waiver - CDW and Loss Damage Waiver - LDW:

…nytimes.com/2006/07/23/travel/23prac.html

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
10. Re: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland

Finally, you can compare US Credit Cards Rental Car Insurance Policies here:

creditcards.com/credit-card-news/compare-cre…

And, the accompanying article is called:

Don't Automatically Refuse Extra Rental Car Insurance Coverage:

creditcards.com/credit-card-news/rental-car-…

Last updated March 2010 as far as I can determine.

Reply to: Car Rental Insurance in Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted