We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

I've spent a long time today trying to create a page about car rental quotes, cdw and super cdw, and some hints and tips on driving in Ireland:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186591-c138899/Ire…

I hope that everything is clearly written and understandable.

If any of you have time to read through and comment on the content (anything unclear? anything I should add?), I'd be most grateful!

I've linked it to the Top Questions on the main page of the Ireland forum.

Thank you!

:-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Great stuff! This will really help visitors get to grips with the most talked about topic on the Ireland Forums! The only thing we would add is that car rental is called car hire in Ireland. Some North American posters have in the past assumed that car hire referred to the rental of a car and driver. Another example of being 'divided by a common language'!

Edited: 1:57 pm, May 29, 2010
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Very comprehensive and well put together I hope people appreciate your efforts. I always recommend that any Quotes should be all inclusive for everything required and hard copy to take to the collections desk. Also that if the car is collected in the rain then this should be written on the Inspection sheet as minor damage can be hidden. The link to Citizens information is also helpful.

citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-a…

West Chester
Level Contributor
151 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Sarniagirl,

Thanks so much for this detailed, inclusive description! It definitely makes the information much more concise...I'm saving it now to my trip folder to refer to later when it's time to 'hire' my car! (I was one of those who, at first, was confused by the term 'hire'!)

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Fantastic SarniaGirl!

I just have a few very small suggestions:

1. When I was first figuring out how to best rent a car in Ireland, I was very confused by the term excess. Here in the U.S., we call that the deductible. (Similar to the hire/rental language problem!)

2. Each time I've rented...hired...rented..I've always gotten the SCDW at Hertz. I've always paid €10 per day with the most recent trip being in February of this year. (I've also always hired...rented...hired the smallest car available.) You might want to change the range you give under Fuel/Gas.

3. Also under Fuel/Gas I've never been actually charged for the tank. Rather a hold was put on my credit card for that amount. Then when I returned the car full, the hold was dropped.

Keith

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Very well done;--)

I do have a question though. Why don't visitors use public transportation? I thought Europe was way ahead of the U.S. in that area.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Your advice is very much appreciated.

In process of putting together an itinerary for Ireland later in the year and the question of car rental/hire have been answered for me.

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Car hire/rental gives maximum flexibility in terms of timings and itineraries. It is possible to get around by public transport but it has its limits.

It doesn't go everywhere for a start and some of the most scenic locations are somewhat off the beaten track. If you take a look at the Top Questions about Ireland section you'll find maps of the the train and bus networks. The railways serve mainly cities and larger towns and there's hardly any rail services in soem parts of country (the north west, for instance). The bus network is more extensive but again there are places that are difficult to reach. A lot of the routes radiate out from Dublin and so there's little interesection between lines (particularly on the railway) which can involve a lot of backtracking to get to certain destinations.

It runs to schedules which may not suit the itineraries of visitors and some services might be very infrequent e.g. just one bus a day or even only several a week in sparsely populated areas. Getting to some destinations might involve a lot of chopping and changing services, a lot of waiting around and considerable backtracking to link between lines.

Geography and topography often play a part also - the fact that County Wicklow for instance is cut in two by a mountain range affects the provision of rail and bus services, and makes getting around by public transport almost impossible and extremely time consuming.

It tends to be geared up to serve the needs of locals rather than visitors and services in particular locations will reflect that in their frequency and routes, depending on the local population. So the few buses which do run, for instance, in a rural area with a sparse population may be geared to getting people to work/school and may not be operating at a time which suits the needs of visitors. In the greater Dublin area by contrast, which is home to about a quarter of the Irish population, there's hardly anywhere at all that you can't get to using the extensive and frequent public transport services (bus, train and tram) and Dublin buses stop every few hundred metres on their routes so you're never far from a bus stop.

It's much easier to cart lots of luggage around in a car than hauling it to and from bus and railway stations and on and off buses and trains yourself. For some people this is just not an option.

It's not a 24 hour service and you are confined to start and finish times on all of the networks, as well as reduced services on Sundays and holidays (and none on Christmas Day).

Edited: 4:48 am, May 30, 2010
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

"Why don't visitors use public transportation? I thought Europe was way ahead of the U.S. in that area."

Europe in general is but Ireland itself isn't for all the explanations that tapl has given - Ireland is, in fact, very similar to the US with having only a spidery/skeletal railway service. Although holidaying in Ireland by public transport is not impossible (the bus network is very good but making connections to outlying areas can be messy) if you want extensive and speedy railway networks and largely car free holidays then mainland Europe is definitely the better place to go. The trains in France, Italy, Switzerland etc are phenomenal..

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

BTW great tip sheet SarniaGirl :-)

On the subject of punctures on the rural roads it may be worth noting that, other than the winter pot-holes, the main cause is usually from the debris left over after the hedges have been trimmed - it's surprising how easily a bit of blackthorn can rip into a tyre! On the positive side these 'thorn punctures' are quick and easy repairs for a local garage to make and ours charges only €5 for such a repair. For this reason we always advise our visitors to avoid any newly trimmed lanes if they can...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Quotes, CDW, Super CDW, and Driving Tips

Public Transport is Sparse but it is suitable for visitors who cannot or chose not to Drive. All the Major city's and large towns are served at least by Bus and there are more than enough tour operators taking visitors to sights from these hubs. So dont be afraid of coming to Ireland without driving. It is us rural natives that suffer not our tourist visitors.

Punctures pump up your tyres before returning the car most are very slow taking a week to go down especially the thorn type.

Edited: 5:28 am, May 30, 2010