We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

southern Indiana
9 posts
Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

Hello - my family and a priest friend of ours are trying to plan a trip to Ireland and England this summer (probably late May), and are interested in possibly staying in a monastery or convent for part of our stay......to help save money for one thing. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions would be most appreciated. We have stayed in similar places while traveling in Rome and Assisi, so we are somewhat familiar with this type of lodging. We have never been to Ireland or England before...so this would be new to us... Thanks,

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,994 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

Monastery/Convent accommodation is not as widespread here in Ireland as it is in some other European countries.

Glenstal Abbey in Co. Limerick does take guests but it is more for a spiritual journey rather than a geographical journey. http://www.glenstal.org/guests.htm

Perhaps you might consider looking at University lodgings instead. Some of the universities rent out student accommodation during the summer and it can be quite cost effective.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
2. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

Keith (KthSch), a US TA member who is a regular visitor to Ireland, sometimes stays in a hermitage near Glendalough, County Wicklow. If you send him a personal message (there's a link to his profile below), he should be able to give you more details.

www.tripadvisor.ie/members-forums/KthSch

Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Santa Fe, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
159 reviews
3. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

OR I could just post some info here to start! :-)

For each of my three trips to Ireland I've stayed at the Glendalough Hermitage, the first time for two nights and the past two for three nights. I'm booked in to stay there again in October (3 nights again).

www.hermitage.dublindiocese.ie/home.html

The Hermitage is located in the town of Laragh in Co. Wicklow and is just 1-2 km from the monastic city at Glendalough.

Check out the 4 reviews on Trip Advisor. They are all quite positive, including my own. You'll find some details there about the cillins (hermitages) that might be of help to you.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g551595-d142319…

I see that your "name" is Momto3sons, so if you're coming with 3 sons, I'm not sure that the Glendalough Hermitage would be a fit. They have 5 cillins, 4 of them are for 1 person and the 5th can acommodate 2 people.

Also, this is not the same as staying in a monastery. While the Hermitages are part of the ministry of St Kevin's Parish, there is no monastic community in residence. Sister Kathleen, however, is a wonderful, wonderful person who will make you feel so very welcome. They do have regular prayer services available, but I have not attended as yet.

I LOVE this place and will probably find a way to stay there for at least part of the time of each and every trip I make to Ireland. If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask!

Keith

Here's a link to my Co. Wicklow trip report from September of 2009 when I stayed at the Hermitage for 3 nights:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186644-i1248-k317…

Edited: 3:10 pm, February 15, 2010
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

We've a hermitage near us in Sligo that rents out rooms for retreats and such:

spirituallifeinstitute.org/Holy%20Hill.html

The order is Carmelite but they accept visitors of all faiths. The setting is very peaceful and rural and you'd need a car to get there...

Edited: 4:46 pm, February 15, 2010
Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

An Australian woman by the name of Trish Clark has written a series of guide books called Good Night And God Bless. They outline convent & monastery accommodation throughout various parts of the world. Volume 2 includes Ireland. If you go to her website (I think it's goodnightandgodbless.com, but Google it anyway & you'll get there) you can find out how to buy it. I thumbed through a copy of one of the guides in a book shop before we went to Europe, but neglected to buy it. My bad - the book itself was reasonably detailed with info on prices, contacts, availability of food etc. Well worth a look.

Cheers,

Zorcon

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

Mount Mellary, in Waterford has a guesthouse, not sure if women can stay, they have a "sister" in Glencairn abbey, where women can stay.

Dublin
4 posts
7. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

Hello,

There are a number of Convent and Monastery locations in Ireland. Glenstal in Limerick as previously mentioned have a guesthouse - www.glenstal.org.

In Dublin there is Convent of Mercy International Centre which takes guests and is beautiful - www.mercyinternational.ie

Also in Dublin there is the Redemptorist Monastery (Marianella House)which has accommodation - www.marianella.ie

The Redemptorists have several houses in England and Scotland which have visitor accommodation i.e. St. Mary's in Perth, Scotland is beautiful and Hawkestone in England. both have websites. Hope this helps.

Dublin
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

I know that All Hallows college in Drumcondra used to offer accommodation out of term & looking at their website it looks like they still do. Drumcondra is a short distance from Dublin city centre.

allhallows.ie/conference-centre/accommodatio…

Cheshire...
1 post
9. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

Hi:

Where did you stay in Rome and Assisi?

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Monastery/Convent Lodging in Ireland

Ardveen mentioned The Redemptorists and that reminded me of their retreat house in Esker outside Athenry in Co Galway.

I have been there a few times and the location is very rural and peaceful.

www.eskercommunity.net/retreathouse.html