We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lonely planet on Ireland

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Lonely planet on Ireland

It gives a thumbs down to Temple Bar and Blarney and it wonders why Bono is dislikedy in Ireland - more than anywhere in the world.....begrudgery anyone? :)

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224262713896.html

Some highlights:

"CORK

Great restaurants fed by a solid foodie scene, a walkable centre surrounded by interesting waterways ... the best of the city is still happily traditional.

GALWAY

A swirl of enticing old pubs that hum with trad music sessions throughout the year. More importantly, it has an overlaying vibe of fun and frolic that can’t help but amuse. Hop aboard for a thrilling ride.

DERRY

It comes as a pleasant surprise to many visitors. It may not be the prettiest of cities ... but it has a great riverside setting, several fascinating historical sights and a determined air of can-do optimism that has made it the powerhouse of the North’s cultural revival.

CAVAN AND MONAGHAN

Much of the attraction here is the outdoors, making it a perfect place for visitors seeking an unspoilt corner of Ireland.

KILLARNEY

A well-oiled tourism machine in the middle of the sublime scenery of its namesake national park. Its studied twee-ness is renowned.

LIMERICK

Its streets are rich with tangible links to the past and a gritty, honest vibrancy.

WESTPORT

The town’s Georgian streets, lime tree-shaded riverside mall and colourful pubs are about as photogenic as Ireland gets.

CLARE

One of Ireland’s sweetest spots. It combines the stunning natural beauty of its long and meandering coastline with unique windswept landscapes and a year’s worth of dollops of Irish culture.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,242 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

##LIMERICK

Its streets are rich with tangible links to the past and a gritty, honest vibrancy. ##

This could describe anywhere!!

It sounds like an astrology reading from a downmarket Sunday newspaper, :o))

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

I suspect that s/he went on Angela's ashes walking tour?

It's just an extract - Limerick came out in a very positive light ...which has to be good news for Limerick...would you agree Bean?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

Thumbs up for Cavan/Monaghan!!!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,242 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

Thanks Ferdia,

I haven't had time to actually read the article, I've been out and about in Limerick and it is looking beautiful today. The Christmas decorations have come down (bar the floating tree in the Shannon, now tamed!!) and the Munster Flags have gone up, and the city is a sea of red.

The sun is shining and its warm.

And as you said, nice to see the positives.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

Thanks Bean - it's a nice day to be out and about.

Clauds - I thought yourself and Cavan would like that part.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

the city is a sea of red.......heh heh

sorry bean, I couldn't resist.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

Published today? The Irish Times is a bit slow off the blocks! We were given a gift of the new Lonely Planet Guide to Ireland a couple of days after Christmas by a friend who bought it in Easons in Dublin. We've already used it to plan a summer week in the Glens of Antrim.

Edited: 1:02 pm, January 20, 2010
County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

It's pulling today's date from its site (I'm guessing) - maybe the blurb / press release was just released today?

http://tinyurl.com/y9bt273

Its on the Indo and RTE today also - so its not just the Times - but the IT had the bestcoverage that I could find - anyway, I hope someone might find it useful at some level.

Edited: 2:01 pm, January 20, 2010
9. Re: Lonely planet on Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 20, 2010