We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour - tipping

Northern NJ
6 posts
Save Topic
tour - tipping

My family of 4 is leaving on Saturday for an 8 day CIE Taste of Ireland tour. (Days 1 and 8 are actually travel days!) We've never done a tour such as this before and I am unsure as to what is the proper amount to tip the bus driver and guide at the end of the tour.

Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour - tipping

There is no rule about this (unfortunately). You can either lead or be led in this situation.

I am usually the one who would be lead. On all of these trips there is someone who takes the lead and organises a 'collection' It is my experience that it is mentioned about two days before the trip comes to an end and then the day before - the tips are collected.

If you are on the trip and absolutely LOVE it and find that the driver/guide has been really good and helpful, you could mention tipping to your traveling companions and gauge reaction.

Alternatively you could wait for one of your travelling companions to make the first move!!

As for the amount - I haven't a clue. But if I was a driver taking a bus load of tourists on tour and was tipped at the end of the trip, I'd be very pleased with €100 or €200. (Controversial anyone??)

For a family of 4 I'd give a tenner each.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour - tipping

I'd go along with that, Bryno.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour - tipping

On reading the question I was thinking E20 would be a good tip. But then when I worked it out for 50 or so people on a bus that came out to E1000 for a weeks work and that is on top of already getting paid so it seemed really high. I guess if it is split between the driver and guide it is more reasonable? I also would not be inclined to tip on behalf of the kids so I guess Bryno's E10 each including the kids or my E20 for adults only works out to be the same.

For some reason though I have it in my head that the guide organizes a tip collection for the driver? Hoping someone who has gone on such a tour can give you first hand knowledge of their experience.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tour - tipping

We went on an excorted trip to China 2 years ago. Our tour guide was exceptional and we tipped him the equivalent of €200 (a week touring) and didn't begrudge him one single cent. Others (Irish) on our tour gave €20-€50 and one couple in particular didn't tip at all.

It's all relative and dependant on what you get/expect from the tour and the value you put on it. Some on our tour moaned about having to tip as the trip itself was expensive and possibly they hadn't budgetted(?sp) for these 'add ons'

I tip drivers (even on open top bustours) - especially if they have been good drivers. One exception was in Sicily a few years ago where the driver drank copious amounts of wine/beer with his meal on an organised day tour. We were so scared that I prayed the whole way back to Taormina and reported him on our return (as did most of the tour group)!

5. Re: tour - tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 20, 2009