We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of gas in Ireland?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Price of gas in Ireland?

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out all the costs of my trip and I'm working on figuring out what gas will cost. (Easier said than done when used to the metric system!). I think I'm going to drive about 700 miles, use about 23 gallons of gas or 87 liters.... so what is the average price of a liter in Ireland?

Thanks!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

Try this: http://www.aaireland.ie/petrolprices/

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

Yes I did, but I don't understand it. It says 108c or something and I have no idea what that means... it was tough enough to get the km to miles and the gallons to liters and the euros to dollars! Factor in this "c" and I'm lost. :)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

You are converting litres to US gallons, you should be converting to Imperial Gallons, when the figure would be about 19 gallons, not 23.

However, since fuel is sold in litres, not gallons, you need to know that petrol is around €1.10 to €1.16 per litre, diesel is around €1.

What are you driving?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

Oh man that is all much too confusing for me! lol

I figured out I am going to be driving 700 miles. The car we are renting gets about 30 miles to the gallon. That's where I started.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

Just saw the other replies. You are doing too much converting. Don't get involved in gallons and litres and kilometers etc.

If you are getting 100kilometers for 10 litres of fuel (obviously it depends on what you are driving, but thats average-ish - I don't doubt someone will have more precise figures if you say what you are driving :))and 700 miles is 1,125 kilometers, you will use 110 litres for your entire trip. That comes to €120 I think. Now you can just convert that to dollars.

My brain doesn't do maths, so feel free to tell me I have got that wrong, anyone who can sort it more efficiently :)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

"If you are getting 100kilometers for 10 litres of fuel"

Haha okay you already lost me there. :) We are renting a VW Fox; I'm not sure what it gets in litres but it get about 35 miles per gallon. I rounded down to 30 when I did my math because I'm sure the roads won't be so easy on a little car!

I got everything figured out to we will be using 87 litres of gas. I just can't figure out what 87 liters of gas would cost there.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

Okay this might be an easier way to say it. The average cost of gas is 108.8c there, but I don't know what that means. So how many euros would 87 liters at 108.8c come out to?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

OK, that comes to €94.65, if your miles to litres calculation is correct. I suspect my original figure will be about right. 108.6c means 1 euro and 8.6 cents.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

A VW Fox will get about 50 or more miles to gallon. This is not an expensive car to run. It will cost 100euro or so to drive 700 miles in this car.

nj
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price of gas in Ireland?

Shell-

Can I just answer your question with one word. Well 2 words-

a lot!

We are budgeting $300 for gas for 10 days for about the same 700 miles.

Remember traffic and the stop and go on the roads will eat up your gas too.

Enjoy!

T