We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early October Travel Plans

Claremont...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Early October Travel Plans

The final leg of our upcoming trip will be in Ireland however we will only be there for a few days. I was hoping I could get some feedback on our planned itinerary:

We arrive in Dublin on a Monday night flight so we were planning on staying close to the airport and picking up a rental car the next day. From there, we plan on driving to Killarney (via the Rock of Cashel) and spending two nights there--Tues. & Wed.--so that we could explore the sights of the Ring of Kerry. We'll head back to Dublin on Thursday afternoon and we'll spend two nights there before leaving for home on Saturday.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated (as would any suggestions of "must see" sights). Thank You!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early October Travel Plans

Hey Lisa. Any chance you could change flight to Shannon? It'd be closer for you. Cheers.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early October Travel Plans

Can I make a small suggestion re. accommodation in Dublin if you haven't already booked.

Have a look at Airport Manor on the Naul Road. This is about a 10 minute taxi fare from the airport - yet it is still near the airport - we usually stay there when we are heading out of Ireland for holidays. It is near Swords Village. The Airport Manor is really nice - rooms are great, and spotlessly clean. The rate I think is about 125 per room, i.e. 62.50 per person. Check it out - it might save you from staying in a big hotel and paying lots more money.

I think their website is www.airportmanor.com

Ireland
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early October Travel Plans

LisaAndrea

Just be aware that while you can certainly get from Dublin - Cashel - Killarney - you are making a long journey for yourself that way. The road from Dublin splits someway down and heads to Cashel and Cork or Limerick and Killarney. I cannot comment on sites between Dublin and Limerick I am afraid but maybe others can help.

To give you an idea, the drive from Dublin to Cashel is approx 2.5 hours (depending on the time of day). After that add on another 2.5 hours straight to get to Killarney. Direct to Killarney will be approx 4 hours. It may seem like only 1 hour difference but on these roads it can be challenging. Also you plan on a lot of driving in kerry over 2 days so don't kill yourself. Alternatively you could do Cashel on the way back from Kerry en route to Dublin.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early October Travel Plans

H Friendly Tips, Hi Lisa. Just had a look at this post.

If you check out www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/ you will be able to compare and contrast distances and estimated times between a straight Dublin-Limerick-Killarney trip and one via The Rock of Cashel. The former will take you about 5 hours - I would suggest you stop for lunch in Adare, a lovely village outside Limerick.

It is possible to see the Rock of Cashel but again, see what you think after looking at the AA site.

Check out all the current Killarney sites for lots of good ideas. Do not leave without seeing Muckross House and Gardens and Torc Waterfall.

Take cAre.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early October Travel Plans

Thanks for all of your input....it helps tremendously!!

Lisa