We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to stay within driving distance of Kildare in January

USA-NC
Level Contributor
204 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Need to stay within driving distance of Kildare in January

My husband & I are attending some events in Kildare at the end of Jan/early Feb. We don't need to stay in Kildare---just about 20-30 drive maximum. I found a place in Mountrath in County Laoighis that was highly recommended and I was wondering how much of a drive that would be. Can anyone help with this or offer an alternative place to stay for a week. We're not big city people when we vacation (we stay away from Dublin). This is our 4th trip to Ireland, but have never stayed in the center of the country.

Dublin
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need to stay within driving distance of Kildare in January

Martinstown House is a lovely Victorian guesthouse near the Curragh of Kildare. According to my recollection it is between Kilcullen and Kildare town. It is probably less than 10 minutes drive away from Kildare town. As a point of interest, it was once owned by Hitler's top SS commando Otto Skorzeny.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need to stay within driving distance of Kildare in January

Cool, I'll let my bomb throwing friends know. Kidding of course.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need to stay within driving distance of Kildare in January

ribk- If you're still looking, I stayed in a great self caterer in June in Baltinglass, Wicklow, which is near the Kildare border. It's called The Steward House. It really was nice. The owner of the manor house plans to retire in The Steward's. Good luck. The Ballymore Inn was also a great restaurant. Cheers

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need to stay within driving distance of Kildare in January

Ah shoot. Did I mention Stewards-lol. I answer too often when I should be rushing out. Sorry. Good luck though.