We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Ireland to Scotland

denver
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Ireland to Scotland

What feery line do you take from Ireland to Scotland. Is it more fun to take the fery than a plane?

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Ireland to Scotland

Last summer, I ferried from Wales to Ireland and back. It was the best choice for me. In order to fly, I would have had to back track to a city with an airport and then spend wasted hours in said airport. As it turns out, the ferry was cheaper than flying for us too. And I didn't have the headache of renting another car in Ireland. And also, it was fun. The three hour trip went by very fast.

I know that Stenaline runs a ferry from Belfast to Stranrear in Scotland. I think the P&O line has a route to Troon.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Ireland to Scotland

"Spending wasted hours in airport" ????

In my estimation it is far quicker and cheaper to fly from Ireland to Scotland. These days I would only use a ferry when I want to drive a van across.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Ireland to Scotland

Please remember that every situation is different. For me, an entire day would have been wasted driving backwards to a city with an airport, and getting there 2 hours ahead of time and then sitting and waiting. My holiday time is limited enough the way it is. I'd rather wake up, ferry over and then continue on my merry way without wading through another airport or collecting another car. And for us, it was cheaper too, I checked.

denver
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Ireland to Scotland

Thank you.

denver
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Ireland to Scotland

Thank you.

6. Re: Ferry from Ireland to Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 15, 2009