We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

I've been doing loads of research about car rentals, especially for CDW, Super CDW, automatic versus manual, and under 25 fees.

Enterprise had given me a seemingly awesome quote for someone under 25, an automatic with CDW, with option to buy Super CDW. But the whole option to buy Super CDW was a little sketch, especially since no where on their website did they tell you how much that was. I called Enterprise and they told me they couldn't know what that fee would be at the Dublin Airport, and that I could call Ireland if I really needed to know.

Call Ireland. Sure. No problem. Calling Ireland is a breeze.

So instead of calling Ireland I emailed Enterprise via their website, inquiring about their fees. This is what I got back:

My Question:

I am confused as to the wording of the Excess Coverage explanation.

Your website states:

"IN THE EVENT OF DAMAGE AND/OR THEFT, AN EXCESS IS APPLICABLE WHICH VARIES DEPENDING ON VEHICLE TYPE AND LOCATION. EXCESS PROTECTION WILL COVER UP TO 700 EUROS OF ANY DAMAGE, SUBJECT TO TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE RENTAL AGREEMENT."

Can someone please tell me how much the cost of Excess protection for the Dublin Airport is?

Enterprise's Answer:

K, Thank you for contacting Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

At the Dublin airport office: Damage Waiver is not included and must be taken unless alternative coverage can be verified at time of rental.

Damage Waiver including Theft Protection (DW) - Excess may apply

ENTERPRISE RENT-A-CAR PROVIDES DAMAGE WAIVER (DW) IN ITS RENTAL CONTRACT THROUGHOUT IRELAND.

THE DW AMOUNT FOR THIS BRANCH IS 20 EUROS / DAY OR LESS.

Excess Protection (EP)

THE EXCESS AMOUNT FOR THIS BRANCH IS 20 EUROS / DAY OR LESS.

Thank you,

Enterprise Help Desk Team

My follow up question:

Alright, well your answer helped but also prompted another question.

On your website when quoting rates it says:

"* Total Charges include Damage Waiver (including Theft Protection), Third Party Liability, Road Fund Licence, and VAT. Additional surcharges may apply."

But in your reply to me you said:

"At the Dublin airport office: Damage Waiver is not included and must be taken unless alternative coverage can be verified at time of rental."

SO, is Excess coverage the only kind not included in quotes, or are all forms of coverage - both Damage Waiver and Excess Coverage not included? Even though, on your online quote, it says that the Damage (including Theft Protection), Third Party Liability, Road Fund Licence, and VAT are part of the quote...

Enterprise's answer:

K, Thank you for your reply.

The statement you included applies to a non-airport office in Dublin. The Dublin airport office does NOT include the coverage in the rate.

We regret any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Enterprise Help Desk Team

So basically, if you plan on renting from Enterprise, and you think that basic CDW is included from the Dublin location, its not. Basic CDW is only included in their NON-Airport locations.

Hope this can help someone!

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
88 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

Looks like they've fixed it. When I do a search and click on "see details", the following appears:

* Total Charges include Road Fund Licence and VAT. Damage Waiver is not included and must be taken unless alternative coverage can be verified at time of rental. Additional surcharges may apply.

Shopping around for the car rental for a trip to Ireland is taking the most work!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

I'm glad I do not have to sort out car hire in Ireland. I understood very little of your exchange with Enterprise, mccspin, which is me being dim, but I don't think I am any dimmer than most people and I cannot understand why the car rental situation in Ireland is allowed to be so complicated, expensive and, a lot of the time, dubious.

Especially in the current climate, such a basic essential to holiday-makers as car hire should be placed under some sort of regulation.

I also don't understand the rather arbitary exceptions of Ireland and Israel from credit card insurance cover - you almost get the impression its an alphabetical glitch - would it not be worthwhile the Irish tourist board asking what the problem is? Does anyone know the reason?

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

Doneraile, Ask the Irish Tourist Board. LOL! You have to be kidding. They do not respond to mere mortals. They answer to a higher authority...themselves! Oh sure, their call center will send you free brochures. End of story.

I do not know why Israel is excluded but evidently there is so much damage done to rental cars by American tourists in Ireland that most of the credit card companies that formerly covered CDW no longer do. There are a few that still cover CDW if you are lucky enough (or have enough time) to acquire one.

Now the car rental companies in Ireland are wising up. Many have an extra charge of about 25 euro if a tourist does have one of those extremely rare credit cards that will cover CDW. If you want to use the credit cards insurance you have to pay the car company.

There is no reason for the Irish government to regulate it. The car compaines are Irish and based in that country. They pay taxes. Tourists are just passing through and have no weight or say in how things are done. There is no grass roots orginazation getting tourists to unite and fight back against car companies. Besides once a tourist returns home do they really want to spend more time fighting a battle that may help other tourists but will probably be of no benefit to them? I would not be surprised if some "under the table" things go on with the car rental industry. It is a shady area of tourism in Ireland.

Most people who visit Ireland and rent a car say it is the most frustrating, time consuming part of planning their trip.

Does the car rental industry in Ireland need regulating? You better believe it. Will it be regulated? Not likely in my lifetime.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

Dad rented through Irish Car Rentals which hooked him up with a car on Ennis Road Limerick. The policy sent to me said:

This quotation is valid for 7 days only and Includes.

All compulsory insurance's - Collision Damage Waiver insurance (CDW with an excess), Theft Protection Insurance, Sales Tax @13.5%, Unlimited Free Mileage, Third Party Liability Insurance, Free Road Map of Ireland and 24 Hour Peace of mind breakdown cover.

A standard fee of Euro 22.02 will be added to the total cost when you collect your car from Limerick City - Ennis Rd.

It's funny cause in Canada, you pay an extra fee to pick up at the airport and your cost per day is higher.

I still don't understand it as the guy told us about it covering €1200. It sounded like it only covered up to €1200, not €1200 being a deductible. Or maybe that was the amount without having to go through a different type of claim. He cracked off an already cracked wheel cover and was told that was fine.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

Every car rental company makes its own rules. There is no consistancy in Ireland. There is no regulation that I know of.

Used to be you paid an airport pick up fee. Now some have added that fee whether you pick up at the airport or at a city location.

Like the airlines they nickle and dime you to death. Some things that may be extras (depending on the company)

Declining CDW

Airport surcharge

Surcharge for picking up a car anywhere

Road tax

CDW

CDW excess

VAT

Tank of petrol

Extra driver

Baby car seat

Various insurance

Because each one is different it is difficult to compare them. Dooley gives a complete price but with all the others you must add up the extras for a final price. Then compare.

Renting a car in Ireland is diabolical.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

I've been doing some research and it seems like Avis and Budget are the two best companies to deal with. Avis has gotten a few good reviews in this forum.

I might go with Budget though since they have the particular car brand I want to rent.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

phunchak, Beward of Budget if you are declining CDW. Their new rules will bite you in the behind. Read them before renting.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

Boy, I can't even spell "beware"!!!!!!!!

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
88 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

I've finally settled on using Enterprise for an Opel Astra as I found a online link (coupon) that will save me 30-70euro from everyone else when all is said and done. To get to this point, I put together a big ol' google doc that lays it all out for my particular rental period (7/27-8/07, automatic, small car, CDW, excess thru insurance4carhire.com). Here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/r2vhrg

It's frightening to see what a similar rental costs just a few weeks earlier for the same length of time, which really pushed me to make a reservation yesterday to lock in. Can't wait to go!

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
88 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FYI: Enterprise Rental Car Hidden Fees

Forgot to mention: I'm staying away from Budget, as they ran a 9,999 Delta Miles/rental promotion last July in the U.S. that has proven to be impossible to cash in on for my fiance. So they can shove it for all I care. :)