We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

Lancashire
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

Hi, me, my husband and little boy are wanting to take a trip to ireland, we have never been before so have no idea what to expect or where to go. We just want to see the country and stay somewhere friendly and for families. Can anyone tell me where is best to stay? which town? Your help will be much appreciated. :)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

Hi Hauley, I'm afraid your question is a bit vague. No-one can say what the 'best' place to stay is, it depends on what you want.

How are you coming over, will you have a car? When are you coming? What kind of accommodation do you want - mobile home, cottage, b&b, hotel? What facilities do you want? Do you intend to stay in one place or travel around? Do you want 'Blackpool' type entertainment or 'Lake District'? Do you want to visit historical sites, or would you prefer beaches for your little boy?

Most places are family friendly, especially b&bs, are you looking for kids clubs though?

Give us a few ideas of what you are looking for and we will do our best.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

Sorry, that should be Hi Hayley :)

Lancashire
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

hi sorry it is very vague, didnt know what to put, this is my first time posting on a forum.

Anyway, we will be flying over, we wont be driving, we most probably will be staying in a bnb, we wont be travelling all around, just staying in one place, somewhere nice. We dont really wanna stay somewhere like blackpool, more like the lake district but with some family entertainment maybe, I dunno.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

Hayly, there's a wide choice of places to fit that description.

Galway (Connemara), county Kerry, county Cork, Wicklow (thinking lakes) or Doneraile's neck of the woods are just a selection of locations.

What time of year?

County Clare has some nice family touring options:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186595-c51813/County…

http://www.shannonairport.com/plan-book/

Access depends on the time of year.

Lancashire
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

oh Im not wanting to go til sept next year, Im trying to find out as much as I can.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

I like September in Ireland, and most attractions will still be open on the link that I gave you.

Good idea to plan ahead!

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

Hi Hayley,

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Ireland as well and my suggestion would be to read as much as you can on here and also get yourself a good guidebook. I have Rick Steve's Ireland guide and it's been extremely helpful. I now know the lay of the land and what attractions are where. I think that's the very start of planning any trip to a place that is unknown to you. Get yourself a map of Ireland and figure out what you want from your trip. For instance, we would prefer to experience the quaint villages and beautiful scenery rather than a city so we will most likely skip Dublin and head for the west coast, Dingle and surrounding area. Sit down with your husband and discuss what you both would like from the trip then start your planning there.

Have fun!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

Rassi,sound advice but I'd be a bit cautious about Rick Steve's guide,I'd never heard of the guy until his name appeared on these forums after he apparently had likened Killarney to Disneyland,anybody that does that is in serious need of counseling in my opinion!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

rassi

from what I have read about rick Steve, he doesn't know his arse from his elbow when he writes about Ireland - get a reliable book, or go on Tripadvisor for local knowledge

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,949 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wheres the best place to stay in ireland?

Hayley,

Killarney is Ireland's Lake District. The town is a town, not architecturally notable but the shopping is great, and the scenery surrounding the town is spectacular. Lots and lots to do.

The Holiday Inn on the Muckross Road www.holidayinnkillarney.com and it is very child friendly. There is music in Saddlier's Bar (part of the hotel) most nights and children are well catered for there.

Muckross Gardens are great for walking through (my kids used to love splashing in the puddles and walking in the streams)

Ross Island and Castle is another lovely place - swans swimming in the lake.

You could take the bus to Tralee and go to the Aquadome Swimming Complex and the Aqua Golf crazy golf and if you are here in peak season, take the steam train from Tralee to Blennerville Windmill.

You could also get a bus to Dingle and see Funghi the Dolphin.

The whole area is BEAUTIFUL.