We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September in Ireland

dsi
Seminole, florida
3 posts
Save Topic
September in Ireland

We have scheduled a "self drive/B&B trip" to arrive Dublin September 8 at 10am and leaving via Shannon September 14th 2pm.

We have never been to Ireland so we are guessing at the best routes to take to get the most out of our visit! We would like to know how far off the mark we are or if someone has a better route,areas to visit and places to stay. Here is what we have so far....

Arrive Dublin 10am (probably tired from all night trip) - Staying at B&B just north of town on Sept 8th

Morning of 9th- driving to see more of Dublin? or going straight to a Kilkea Castle (about 1 hour south of Dublin?) for the next night. Is there enough to do and see at Kilkea for the day or should we go back to Dublin in the am before going to the Castle?

Morning of 10th- leaving Kilkea Castle and driving to Galway area. Is there much to stop & see on the way or will we want to

drive directly to Galway? We plan on Galway area and B&B Sept 10th. Any good B&B's appreciated? Anything to see and do in this area?

Morning of the 11th - We were planning to drive to County Mayo

area and seeing that area. Any ideas? We would return to the galway B&B late afternoon or evening. Any ideas for Good food in Galway?

Morning of 12th- We would drive south to Dingle and see area as well as B&B for the night? Is this a good area to visit? Any ideas?

Morning and afternoon of of 13th -we would explore the southwest area and back to Dingle B&B for the night.

Morning of 14th - we would head to Shannon for flight out at about 1pm.

Are we crazy or does this route seem like a good plan? We would appreciate any ideas, routes, places to see and stay, restaurants, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Carl and Peggy

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: September in Ireland

Hey dsi. If you get out of Dublin early enough, I'd take the scenic route through the Wicklow Mountains via The Military Road (R115 from Rathfarnam in Dublin[reachable by the M50] to Aghavannagh in Wicklow. You could even take side trips to Powerscourt and Glendalough. Do a search for Military Road+Wicklow, Powerscourt and Glendalough. Then from Aghavannagh, basically head West to Castledermott and Kilkea. The 10th is a tough one. The quickest I guess is taking the N9 back up to Kilcock (Kil means church in Gaelic) and head West on the N6. That's probably 4 to 5 hours, depending on how you drive. Clonmacnois would be a worthwhile stopoff. On the 11th, I guess it would be Connemara to Westport in Mayo, which is a nice town. Noteable things on the way would include Clifden and Kylemore Abbey. I suppose you could hit Cong on the way back. You'll probably get loads of restaurant ideas in Galway. In Westport, try lemompeel.ie. I Galway, I liked eating at Nimmos and walking along The Corrib after. My guess is that you'll want to see The Cliffs of Moher on the 12th, from which you'll probably head South along the coast to Killimer ferry to Tarbert. www.shannonferries.com. You might get in a bit of Dingle. You'll get loads of ideas for the 12th and 13th. Personally, I'd stay just outside of Killarney. Look on this site. Well alrighty then. Cheers.

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: September in Ireland

Ooh sorry. That was lemonpeel. It is very good. Cheers.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September in Ireland

Hi there - I agree with Pom. Do a search in the Kerry part of this forum and you will get lots of discussion on what to do in Kerry. There will be discussions on the finer points of Dingle (An Daingean in the very near future) and Killarney, the Conor Pass, spectacular journeys, the ring of Kerry, good places to eat etc. Do a bit of research here and come back to us if you have any further queries.

The only area I would have a problem is travelling from Dingle to Shannon for a flight at 1.00pm (13h00) on the 14th September. You will need to check in before 11h00 and I honestly don't think you will make it up in time, unless you leave in the middle of the night - which defeats the purpose.

On paper the journey from Dingle to Shannon doesn't take too long, unfortunately the reality isn't as straight forward.

Nither of the roads (Conor Pass or Annascaul) to Tralee are good, the road from Tralee to Castleisland is OK, Castleisland is a pain in the neck. If you can get through this small town in less than 1/2 hour, then you're really doing well. Newcastlewest can sometimes be busy and all is fine then until you approach the outskirts of Limerick. Even if you follow the signs for the airport, you will still need to negotiate the dock road which DOES get busy. To check in on time, you will need to be in Limerick at about 9.30. There could still be traffic jams here at that time, particularly as I THINK that the University of Limerick graduations will be on that week and traffic does busy then (even though the University is on the other side of town). Once you get through the city, you may find other roadworks about 2 miles out. Finally you may still have roadworks south of Bunratty (they are supposed to be gone by the 31st August, but things can drag on). Finally, you need to leave back your car....

Would you consider staying in some place like Adare on your last night? It might reduce the need for stress-reducing medication :O)))

I am sorry if I have thrown a spanner in the works. Take Care - Bean.

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: September in Ireland

Due to driving, I wouldn't stay too far out on any of the peninsulas the first time there. Cheers.