We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September weather

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
September weather

Hello, all

We'll be in Ireland the first 3 weeks of September. From the current 10 day forecast, I see it is already quite cool, so we will need lots of warm clothes. However, here in Ontario, after the weather has cooled down in early September, we generally get a very warm spell that is referred to here as "indian summer" - does the same thing happen in Ireland (usually), so should we also be packing some shorts & sandals? Of course, packing space is limited, so we are reluctant to bring clothes we aren't likely to need... thanks... D & D

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,864 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: September weather

Don't bring the shorts....don't bring the sandals.

Don't bring a bikini.....and most likely no need for sun hats either.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,864 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: September weather

And having said that now, we'll probably have a freak September with temperatures in the 30 C's

Sigh!!

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: September weather

Thanks for the advice, we'll leave the summerwear behind! And if you've brought on a spell of hot weather simply by predicting against it - I'll thank you (as will many others, I'd bet) :)

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
415 posts
4. Re: September weather

beanalainn, I really hope you have jinxed the weather now!

dandd, I would recommend bringing clothes that you can layer as you can have quite mild days in September - that way you are prepared for most temperatures! Make sure you bring a jacket and shoes suitable for rain also - it (hopefully) won't be too heavy but it does rain a lot!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,514 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: September weather

danddireland, I am back three weeks now from a most wonderful holiday in Ontario and Michigan. Beautiful weather, except on Tuesdays. You always have thunderstorms on Tuesdays!

However, in Ireland we're not so well organised. We've just had the second dreadful summer in a row. We don't know what sunshine is anymore. We're all hoping for a lovely September. That month can be quite nice and I hope it will be for you.

Don't leave the the t-shirts at home. Combined with a light sweater (and a rain jacket) this outfit will withstand wind and rain and you can always take the sweater and jacket off if it's warm and NOT raining (ha, here's hoping...).

We honestly don't know what the weather will bring, be prepared for all four seasons in one day! Enjoy your holidays anyway.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: September weather

are you looking at the right temp, i.e. celsius vs farenheit

you may be calculating it wrong

It definitely won't be that cold that you will have to bring warm clothes - the best thing to do is to layer your clothes, - i.e. Thshirt and cardigan, or fleece. Then you have the best of both worlds.

We have been waiting all summer for sunshine - we got about 5 days total. Its been raining non stop since end of July, with landslides and flooding.

Bring waterproof shoes

forget the bikini and sandals.

San Diego,CA
1 post
1 review
7. Re: September weather

Hola!!! here from beautiful San Diego, thanks for the advise about what to bring for my upcomming trip to Ireland, we hope we can bring some of the sunshine with us and hopefully to be able to enjoy of a great weather! Dress in layers seems like the rigth thing to do!

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
8. Re: September weather

If you can bring sunshine we will lay on a welcome party!! Cold and wet is the forecast for the rest of the week..

Toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: September weather

I'm from Ontario too and will be there come Friday for three weeks, and from previous trips be prepared for all types of weather.

You never know !

10. Re: September weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 27, 2010