We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon
Level Contributor
128 posts
31 reviews
Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

Hi there! On our trip to Ireland, we've one day of connection between Dublin and Belfast. What are the best places to see in a day between this 2 cities?

TIA!

Holywood N Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

I travel Belfast to Dublin EVERY DAY to work - a motorway straight there.

I would recommend that you turn off the motorway at NEWRY and take the coastal route through WARRENPOINT, KILKEEL, through to NEWCASTLE (This take you around the STUNNING Mourne Mountains - a beautiful drive)

Through Newcastle go to DOWNPATRICK (St Patrick BURIAL GRAVE at Cathedral) - then towards STRANGFORD where you get a 5 minute ferry to PORTAFERRY. Then take the inner coastal route up towards NEWTOWNARDS - the BELFAST

A Good 5 Hour journey in total - but just beautiful.

(Reverse journey if necessary)

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

I would totally agree with Ardara1. That suggestion is a beautiful drive. I hope you have sunny weather for it.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

I agree with the other posters on the suggested route but another route would take you to Carlingford. You really shouldn't miss this lovely town (www.carlingford.ie/).

Oh, the pain of choice!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

Depending on what else you have on your itinerary, Monasterboice (High Crosses) and Newgrange are also a short detour off your route. They are nearer the Dublin side though so you may be able to include these on a daytrip from Dublin

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

Yes, definitely include Monasterboice. There is probably the most beautiful high cross you can see in Ireland (before it weathers away completely, does anybody look after these incredible artefacts?). Muiredach's Cross is one of the wonders in Ireland. If you're a cat lover you will like the carvings of cats at the bottom of the cross. Enjoy before it's gone. Please read the Old Irish inscription on the cross, it means "Say a prayer for Muiredach who had this cross made". Just sit and enjoy this site (not too many tourists). It really is a special place.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
6. Re: Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

There is so much to see between the two cities that you could actually spend a week making your way there. What do YOU like to see? What are YOUR interests? If you love gardens then you should not miss Mount Stewart. If you hate gardens then give it a miss.

Newgrange is very interesting but it can easily eat up 4 hours or more to see it all.

Carlingford is lovely but I would think of it as a destination to stay at and enjoy, not a drive through must see.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

We recently covered the route given by Ardara1, plus a detour into the Mourne mountains. And it was a memorable trip. All the better due to the lack of crowds on the way even though it was a Saturday in August. This seems to be a relatively undiscovered corner.

8. Re: Dublin to Belfast: What to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 06, 2009