We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Cleggan?

Monsegur, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Cleggan?

We have booked a cottage in Cleggan (23th-30th july). I don't want to miss essentials spots or activities. Can you help us?

ireland
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Cleggan?

Firstly, if the weather is good, head to the beach. Salerna and Rossadillisk are walking distance from the village and are signposted.

Go to Omey Island, just three miles away - it's a tidal island, which means that you can drive out to it when the tide is out. There are a number of important archaeological sites there from St Feichin. Check the tide times with the locals.

Go fishing - you can catch a few types of fish from the shore or can hire a boat and go deep sea angling. Ask Johnny King (he runs the fish shop in the village, really, really good fresh fish!).

Eat well - as well as the fresh fish available in the shop, ask around if you can buy fresh lobster reasonably from the local fishermen. You can also pick mussels yourself at Cleggan beach.

Go Pony Trekking - there's a centre in the village.

Go to Inishbofin for a day and night. It's a wonderful place, the islanders are half mad but very friendly. The ferry goes three times a day during the summer. There are a number of b&bs, two hotels and a hostel on the island.

Enjoy the traditional music - Newman's bar on a Sunday night is particularly good.

Have a picnic on Cleggan Head. It's a long walk up the hill but the views are glorious.

Drive around the area, up by Leenaun, Renvyle (where there's a small but good aquarium), Kylemore, maybe even as far as Westport one day. Or go via Clifden, through Ballyconneely to Roundstone.

Cleggan is small, so its unlikely that you'll miss much, but don't be afraid to ask the locals for advice. Like anywhere in Ireland, it's best when it's sunny but don't let the rain impinge on your plans too much. Bring rain jackets and get out and enjoy the fresh air on wet days too.

ireland
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Cleggan?

And I just realised that I'll be in Cleggan that week too. I'm really looking forward to it and will be doing most of the things I've advised you to do (except the pony trekking).