We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Beanalainn

Connecticut
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question for Beanalainn

Hi Beanalainn-

A while ago we discussed taking a ferry to cross the Shannon River. I am wondering if you recommend we do that. We are landing in Shannon and our first two nights we are staying in Dingle. Should we use the ferry to get to Dingle faster? What do you think? As always I appreciate your advice!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Beanalainn

Hi zuzujoe - Thank you for my first Shout!!

I would certainly recommend taking the ferry across the Shannon to go to Dingle, particularly if you are coming from the Galway direction.

1. You travel down to Clare, get the ferry and arrive in Tarbert. From there is it only 36 km (23 miles ish) to Tralee

2. Having been in Limerick City today - avoid it like the plague. There seems to be an outbreak of roadworks. The main bridge over the Shannon is being dug up as is the main street in the city. There are long delays.

3. The route using the ferry is more fun and less complicated. You do not have to negotiate Limerick City. However, you do miss out on beautiful Adare.

I would appreciate the opinions of others on this also :O)

Thank you for your kind words. Take Care.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Beanalainn

Hi there - just read this properly. If you are arriving in Shannon, then go to Limerick and go over the main bridge, turn right, parallel to the river. After about 2 miles you will come to a roundabout. Take the left off the roundabout and travel upwards , past the level crossing to another roundabout, go straight on here. Eventually you will come to another roundabout, with a hotel (Southcourt) on your right, a strange, empty building ahead of you, and a suburban area to your left. Take a right at this roundabout (i.e. 3rd turn off) and follow the signs for Killarney. You will pass some shops including Casey's Furniture and 4Homes Hardware before you come to another roundabout. Take the first turn off here. follow the signs for Killarney and you will end up on some very good new motorway.

Keep following the signs for Adare and Killarney - you cannot miss them. Adare is a nice point to stop off for a cuppa. The arts centre in the middle of town does some nice food and has clean facilities. Worth a walk to stretch your legs.

You will eventually (via Castleisland - currently problematic but should be fixed by the time of your trip - check out www.aaroadwatch.ie) pass Kerry International Airport and come to a T-Junction. Left is for Killarney (10 miles) right is for Tralee (10 miles)

Sorry about the previous error. Brain is gone some place far away!!!! Take CAre. :O)))

Connecticut
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Beanalainn

Beanalainn-

I'm sorry but now I'm confused. So to go to Dingle from Shannon we should not take the ferry but follow the directions in your second post? Is that correct?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Beanalainn

Apologies - yes I misread your post. If you are coming from Shannon Airport, it is faster to go via Limerick city. Follow the instructions in the second post.....

If you were coming from the Burren or Galway it would be faster to go the other way.

Apologies, have been trying to do too many things today and messing up spectacularly!!! Just discovered roadworks on Shannon Bridge are only at night and will not affect you.

Renewed apologies.

Bean.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Beanalainn

No need to apologize! You have been extremely helpful, I really appreciate all the time that you take giving advice!