We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

Southern States
Level Contributor
70 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

My husband and I are arriving Shannon on May 16 (early morning) and are considering the following itinerary:

1st Day - Bunratty Castle and Folk Park - stay 1st night in Limerick

2nd Day - Drive around the Dingle Peninsula and stay 2nd night in Killarney

3rd Day - Visit Blarney Castle and continue on to Rock of Cashel - stay 3rd night in Cashel

4th Day - Drive to and visit Glendalough and then continue on to Dublin - stay 4th and 5th nights in Dublin

5th Day - Visit sites in Dublin

6th Day - depart 8:00 a.m. for London

Does this itinerary seem reasonable? Our other option is to stay in the Western and Southern areas and fly out of Shannon rather than Dublin. I very much appreciate any words of wisdom as this is our first trip to Ireland!!!

Southern States
Level Contributor
70 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

One additional option...

I'm really torn between the Cliffs of Moher and the Dingle Peninsula.

If we were to visit the Cliffs of Moher on day two rather than driving the Dingle Peninsula would we be backtracking to then visit the Blarney Castle and continue with the initial itinerary? If we went with this option ... where should we plan on spening our 2nd night? Thanks, again!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

Hi isitfiveoclock. If you have a look at posting titled something like Aran?Doolin?Dingle?

You'll see that there's fans of both, with one quite angry posting.

:-)

I would say that if its just the cliffs that's drawing you to north Clare (just over an hours drive from Shannon with recent road improvements, along with bypassing Clarecastle and Ennis) go with Dingle, as that is a full (very beautiful) peninsula.

However, if you also looking at the Burren, Arans from Doolin etc while in the area, then this area is well worth a visit.

If you are taking in north Clare, that www.shannonferries.com route is a good option for coastal views to Kerry.

Bunratty is great, and an easy trip from the airport.

www.shannonheritage.com

For Limerick, have a look at Beanalainn's recent post about the Hunt museum.

Hope that this helps.

Southern States
Level Contributor
70 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

Thank you, Ferdia35, for your suggestions. I think we will probably do Dingle ... in your opinion have I allowed enough time for the remainder of our trip without being too rushed? My husband would very much like to stay with friends in Dublin our last two nights which is why we're trying to work out way over there. Thank you, again!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

Posters like Clauds and Sarniagirl know these areas a lot better than I do, could you get down to Killarney straight away, and stay two nights?

This way day 2 could be spent in a more relaxing manner exploring Dingle.

Day 3 could be spent goind arond the ring of Kerry, maybe stay in Kenmare, then move onto next part of your trip.

With such a short time, you might want to maximise your time, maybe stop off at Adare on your way down.

However, given you'll be coming quite a distance, you might be happy to take a rest shortly after arrival.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

Hallo!

I do think your itinerary involves alot of driving, with little time to actually stop and see very much!

I think (again :-)!) that ferdia's advice is good. If you really want to see everything you've listed, then the following may be one option that reduces some time in the car:

1st Day - Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, then drive to Killarney (approx 82 miles, journey time: just over 2 hrs)

2nd Day - Tour Dingle Peninsula - overnight Killarney

3rd Day - Killarney to Blarney Castle (59 miles, journey time: 1.5hrs) - time to visit Castle.

Blarney to Cashel (63 miles, journey time: 1.5hrs)

4th Day - Cashel to Glendalough (100miles, journey time: 3hrs) - time to see Glendalough

Glendalough to Dublin (26miles, journey time: just over 1 hr)

These distances and journey times are taken from the following web-site and are the best journey times during off-peak times, so it could and probably will take alot longer:

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

I hope the above is of some help!

Personally, if I had just 5 nights, I'd prefer to fly in and out of Shannon, and explore Dingle and co. Clare at a more leisurely pace - but then I do like to take things slowly :-).

Hopefully after this post, you will get input from others, who may have more advice to offer you

:-)

Good luck with your plans :-)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,974 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

wow, way too much moving, very little seeing...

day 1 i would recommend staying in bunratty, since you have so little time, there is little to see and do in limerick except kings johns and hunt...so save yourself some driving on your first day....

day 2 if you are only going to "drive" around dingle peninsula, skip it...it deserves at least two days...and if you drive dingle, then on to killarney, from limerick/bunratty, you will be in the car the entire day and then some ...and then there is no point if you aren't going to be able to "see" killarney....

day 3 tons of time in the car....

day 4-5 ok...but what a shame to only have 5 days, spend most of your time driving, and then 2 days of the 5 in dublin....

i think you will be exhausted and you will "see" very little...your behind will "see" more than you will but that will be nothing but the car seat...

if you haven't bought your tickets i would strongly suggest as someone else did...fly in and out of shannon, see the things that aren't so far away; killaloe, quin, the cliffs, one of the arans, bunratty, the burren, etc....you will see so much beauty and not be in the car all the time....

free advice, so take it for what it's worth....

Southern States
Level Contributor
70 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

Thank you all for the feedback. Okay ... here are the things we'd really like to see/do ...

Cliffs of Moher

Dingle Town

Blarney Castle

Rock of Cashel

We really need to spend our last two nights in Dublin as my husband would like to visit friends. Based on the "must see/do" list above can you recommend a better itinerary? We're not excited about spending all of our time in the car and would really like to be able to enjoy dinner/cocktails in the local pubs. Thanks, again, for all your feedback.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

Day 1. Suggest maybe Shannon to Ballyvaughan.

Good new road nearly as far as Corofin.

One left turn at end of new bypass roundabouts, one right turn at fountain court B&B,turn right at Lemanagh castle, right shortly after Aiilwee - and you're there.

Journey time approx 1.5 hours.

(You could take in places like Quin abbey, Bunratty castle, Mooghaun & Dromoland while still in Shannon area, but I think you'll have enough driving day 1 with this route.)

Consider booking Hylands hotel,

http://www.hylandsburren.com/

as it's right in the town, request early check in.

In the afternoon try to get to some of the Burren highlights.

Poulnabrone

http://www.burrenpage.com/Poulnabrone.html

Caherconnell

http://www.burrenforts.ie/

Kilfenora

http://www.theburrencentre.ie/fachtnans.htm

Spend your evening in Monks pub.

ireland-guide.com/establishment/monks_bar.31…

Next morning drive coastal route to Killarney.

Journey time 3.50 hours.

Pick coastal past black head light house, Fenore, Doolin.

http://indigo.ie/~eaglejr/lhblackclare.html

Visit the cliffs of Moher. (1 hour - €8 parking fee for your vehicle)

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/

Contine along N67 for beautful coastal views. Take the ferry from Killimer to Tarbert, and spend at least 2 nights in Killarney, and take on board advice from Sarnia & Oma for Kerry, Blarney and Cashel.

http://www.shannonferries.com/

Hope that this helps.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,974 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

lol...didn't realize you had a must see list...just do what you can of those things as it will more than fill your three days...but honestly i don't see how you can drive shannon to doolin, to the cliffs, to dingle, to blarney, to cashel and have time to enjoy it all...as you will not be up to par day one due to jet lag which will hit you when you least expect it and that really only leaves you two "full" days you can count on...

remember, you can't get as far as you can, as quick as you can in the u.s......example, doolin to dingle is about half a day....that leaves you 1-/12 days and it just can't be done....sorry!

can't you get a few more days?....

Kentucky
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shannon to Dublin in May - 5 days

Your schedule sounds so busy, but you might like to travel that way. I can tell you that we stayed 6 days in Bunratty and just saw the sights in Clare-plenty to do at a leisurly pace. Also, we did want to see Dublin, so we took the train from Limerick one day. It's about a 2 hour trip by train and we felt like we saw everything we wanted to see in Dublin. We left about 7:30 AM from Limerick and arrived home about 11:00PM. It was a fun day and we didn't have to drive.