We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballybunion

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ballybunion

Just booked for a week in ballybunion but on reading some internet reviews (not this site) the place sounds like the crime haven of Kerry. Postings advise that basically all the 'bad boys' from Limmerick go to Ballybunion to commit petty offences and rob/stab the tourists!. Now worried, any comments please?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballybunion

Sam - Ballybunion is like any seaside village that has been overdone - think Ilfacombe or some of the less salubrious Welsh resorts to mention a few. It has a fabulous beach, a fabulous golf course (Bill -the stud- Clinton has played there among other notaries) but is full of take-aways and tacky souvenir shops etc.

Now I can honestly say I have not heard of any stabbings either there or even in Limerick recently. However, The Kerryman - the local newspaper might be worth a google. Yes at weekends, particularly during the summer it can get busy and yes Limerick is the nearest City so it is likely that most of the people arriving will be from Limerick.

Would I go there? probably not. I'm a 5* girl at heart and 5* it ain't. But it depends on what you are after. Most Limerick people go to Kilkee Co. Clare, I hate it. Lots of people go to Tramore Co. Waterford - I hate it too. Were I looking for a Kerry seaside village with a good beach and golf within reach I would probably plump for Glenbeigh - very close to Rossbeigh beach.

I hope I have contributed in some meaningful way to your decisionmaking. I feel some how I may have confused you more...:o \