We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

Sacramento
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

I was planning to visit Ireland over spring break (Easter is March 23 next year), so, something like March 14 to the 22nd.

Reading the guidebooks, I think I'm mostly interested in the southwest areas (Dingle, Kerry, Galway).

Does it make sense to go that time of year? I'm reading Rick Steve's who's noting that a lot of places are closed until after Easter. He also notes that while Dublin and the cities are just fine year around, the landscape, outdoors beauty of Ireland is a lot less interesting in dreary weather, so now I'm rethinking the wisdom of going in March.

Any insights or advice? Thanks in advance.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

MrFunSacrameto,welcome on this forum!

Let me go through your post.

1. Your guidebooks are correct, the Dingle, Kerry, Galway areas are spectacular. Your guidebooks are also verry incorrect. They are leaving out most of Ireland. They are leaving out so many counties... What a shame. There is so much more to be seen in Ireland.

2. Easter can be a lovely time to visit. If your decide to come here make sure to reserve your accommodation asap. The weather can be nice but can also be bad. This being Ireland who knows? Some attractions will be closed but Easter being the start of the holiday season most will open then.

3. Rick Steves is saying that "Dublin and the cities are just fine year around, the landscape, outdoors beauty of Ireland is a lot less interesting in dreary weather". Dreary weather, yes, we get a lot of that. But it makes for wonderful skies, green fields, rainbows and just different light at all times of day.

4. The wether Ireland is unpredictable at any time of the year. It is up to you to make your stay here enjoyable.

Come on, we're here to help

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

Sorry, no edit function, so apologies for typos.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

First bit of advice! Dump Rick Steves book. Guy hasn't a genuine clue about Ireland.Sooo out of date that he really is a hazard to tourists .Go for the 'Dorling-Kindersley ' range of "Eyewitness" books which deals with facts and not 1/2 baked opinions of chancers.

Have you had a look at TV, newspapers of late and seen what is going on in Caribbean? Well I'm sure lots of the opinionated travel authors would say different to weather reality that has been Hurricane Noel, so forget what everybody tells you in their litle travel guides and be a genuine traveler and takes whats there when you arrive.

Weather last March was fantastic here and yet June ,July ,August were terrible.Your dates will catch Paddys Weekend ,so you are guaranteed a lot of Craic all around Island. It makes sense to travel whenever YOU feel like it and are ready , so go with your own instinct ,dump the cowboys and make your holiday YOUR private experience and not a carbon copy of someone elses !

Whatever things you are interested in visiting can all be found on web and more and more places generally start to open before Paddys ,(moreso this year as Easter is next week after Paddys), so start searching and let us know how you get on.

County Tipperary...
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
1 review
4. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

'The March winds doth blow, and we shall have snow...' Well that may be true for Scotland, northern England and northern Ireland, but whether it will be true for the rest of is impossible to know. I have been at Patrick's Day parades in snow (one year I was walking in the parade and we couldn't see the crowds for snow - maybe there were none - so presumably they couldn't see us), in rain, in that kind of cold thin drizzle thats not quite rain but certainly not sunshine, on cold dry grey days, and in sunshine. Funnily enough I don't remember a Patrick's day when the wind blew so hard it did damage to the parade.

Its more than likely that March will be chilly and dull, with a coldish breeze. The spring flowers will be starting, mostly daffodils, there may be a haze of green on the trees. But its hard to say - I have passion flowers still in flower in my garden in November.

As has been pointed out, there is a lot more of Ireland than the south-west, but in march it is likely to be the mildest, if also the wettest. I think visitors have to get the south west out of their systems on the first visit so I am not going to argue about it! :-) I would say, if you really have a choice, wait until May, but if not, go for it, there is plenty to see. And it could be wet and cool in May, too....

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,217 posts
90 reviews
5. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

"First bit of advice! Dump Rick Steves book. Guy hasn't a genuine clue about Ireland.Sooo out of date that he really is a hazard to tourists .Go for the 'Dorling-Kindersley ' range of "Eyewitness" books which deals with facts and not 1/2 baked opinions of chancers."

Well Said, PKPJ!! Clap clap clap.

I've just come back from Killarney - during a potentially "dreary" time. We had much worse weather than the rest of the country (unusually!!) but it was still beautiful.

Interestingly, some of the spring flowering rhododendrons were flowering in Muckross.

March is the time of Spring Flowers: Primroses, Daffodils, Tulips, Bluebells and many more beauties. March is also the time when the trees start to grow their leaves once more - and for those of us with a tree pollen allergy - when some of the trees start to flower once more.

Life is what YOU make of it, not what Rick Steves tells you to make of it. You will have a wonderful time and see some spectacular scenery, whenever you visit.

Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
84 reviews
6. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

March in Ireland is very unpredictable so come prepared for rain and plenty of it. Worth remembering also that we are still in winter time and the clocks do not revert to BST until end of March.

BTW, wild .bluebells in Ireland come out in May

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

pkpj, you and I don't always agree, but you're right about Rick Steves. From what I gather on this forum this guy doesn't always get it right.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

Bless you Clauds! We had 1 (or 2!) minor spats that got the blood going for a while but hell , it livened both our days up and forgotten aboout already.

To go back to your point: I can never get over as to how so many of these travel journals are taken at face value by so many, and even more wonderous when far superior travel information is available 24/7 on such sites as TA, and FREE to boot!

Question ! Do TA have an Xmas bash for all us loyal helpers?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

Well at least ol' Rick Steve has helped with something :-)

My wife & I experienced a frenzied debate between a couple on Doolin pier during the Summer - one wanted to go improptu - the other kept quoting Rick Steves - had not heard of him before TA - agree with Pkpj about eyewitness - great books.

Don't know about arranging a Christmas outing :) - although NY posters post pictures on the forum of their get togethers :-0

- but there's always the chance that someone might try something impromptu, although unlikely that they'd post anything on the forum afterwards :)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,217 posts
90 reviews
10. Re: Ireland in March - is weather a problem?

No bashes unless you're organising PKPJ, but Bryno and myself got TA t-shirts once!!

They are great for painting ;o))

Do you know the Americans got Bags and other stuff...

Sad, really sad....