We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

Cleveland, Ohio
4 posts
8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

Hello,

My husband and I are planning an 8 day trip to Ireland for our first wedding anniversary in June of 2019. We will be flying in and out of Dublin and will be renting a car. We would like to see as much as possible, focusing more on scenery than big cities. We are planning to stay at B&B's along the way.

We have never been to Ireland so we don't have much knowledge to go on!

We are both young and active and realize that in order to see the most we will be very busy... we are okay with that.

I would like some constructive feedback on our first initial "itinerary". I know it is extremely ambitious... I am having trouble picking and choosing!!

Day 1:

Fly into Dublin, explore Dublin - Guiness and St. Patrick's Cathedral

Day 2:

Drive to Achill Island (I am willing to cut this out if needed..... My grandmother was born here so it would definitely be cool to see time permitting!)

Croaghaun, Keem Bay

Overnight in Achill

Day 3:

Drive to Connemara

Explore National Park, Kylemore Abbey, Sky Road and possibly Clifden

Overnight in Connemara

Day 4:

Drive to Galway

Explore Galway

Drive to County Clare - Overnight in County Clare

Day 5:

Explore Cliffs of Moher

Drive to Kerry - Overnight in Kerry

Day 6:

Ring of Kerry Bus Tour

Overnight in Kerry

Day 7:

Drive to Cork

Blarney Castle

Overnight in Cork

Day 8:

Drive to Wicklow

Wicklow Mountains National Park ( I have heard this is absolutely stunning...)

Drive to Dublin

Day 9:

Fly out of Dublin

Please provide any input!

27 replies to this topic
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
17,032 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

that is a ton of driving and very little time to actually "see" anything....sadly the rental car is what you'll see the most of and everything else will be through the windows as you pass by....sorry.....

Cleveland, Ohio
4 posts
2. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

Hi, I appreciate this. What would you suggest cutting out or changing?

Edited: 2:26 pm, October 23, 2018
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
17,032 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

Lindsey, it's difficult to tell someone what to cut because what one loves another might not....if it were me, and I realize it's not, it would be a no brainer to go to where my ancestor was born if I didn't see anything else...your current plan would really need two and half weeks, minimum....for me, the toughest part of any trip to Ireland is to decide what to cut, no matter how many days I have....

maybe break your plan into 3 and visit one of those 3 areas?.....save the rest for another time?....

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
295 reviews
4. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

I agree as usual with Oma, this is way too much to attempt in this short period of time. I could spend the entire time in the Galway area and County Claire and never get bored, there is so much to see but it is hard to give someone else advice on their first trip, just me here, not a fan of the Blarney Castle, the Cliffs of Moher are only good to visit when the weather is nice and the weather changes every half an hour in Ireland. I would probably also cut the ROK bus tour, to me, ROK is much better when you have a rental car and can go at your own place.

Just my opinion ------

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

I agree with Oma. My first priority would be to visit the place where my grandmother grew up. Achill Island is a beautiful place. The approach to Keem Beach is not for the faint of heart. I would eliminate Cork and Wicklow and add the days to Galway/Clare and Killarney. If you get the chance you should watch Molly Shannon's visit to her grandparents' home in Achill on the show "Who Do You Think You Are".

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
6. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

Lindsey:

Another option would be to omit Cork, Kerry and Clare from this trip and focus on Mayo and Connemara/Galway.

After an overnight in Dublin, head west.

Besides Achill, there is so much to see and do in County Mayo that it is definitely worth 3 full days, maybe based in the Westport area:

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/welcome.html

mayo-ireland.ie/en/…itineraries-by-car.html

Includes cliffs:

mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/nature-geograp…

and 2 more nights in adjoining Connemara based in Clifden, maybe.

Then, Wicklow for one night and back to Dublin ahead of your flight the following day.

Edited: 5:38 pm, October 23, 2018
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
23,089 posts
293 reviews
7. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

>> Drive to Achill Island My grandmother was born here<< This says it all....

From Dublin you could break the very long drive with a stop in Tulsk and see the Court Site of Rathcroghan Royal Site .

http://www.rathcroghan.ie/

The Centre has wonderful exhibits, great gift & book shop and lovely cafe.

Tulsk Abbey

https:/…

Cleveland, Ohio
4 posts
8. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

I think I will most likely cut out Cork and possibly Wicklow as well. If I take those two days and stay near Galway, do you think those 3-4 days are enough to also see the Aran Islands? Would you recommend adding those extra days to Galway area or to See Killarney?

Thank you.... I am lost!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
17,032 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

IMHO, if you're doing Achill, Connemara, etc.....save Killarney, Cork, Wicklow, etc. for another trip....you can see how things go time wise and add any of the Arans if you have gorgeous weather.....

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
102 reviews
10. Re: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019

Croaghaun, Achill Island - highest sea cliffs in Ireland. It's a tough climb but the view from the top is unrivalled. It's breathtaking.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g651977…

Geraghty Charter Boats will be running trips under the cliffs in June. You can catch the boat at Dugort on Achill Island. Unmissable for me would be one of his day trips over to the deserted islands off the County Mayo coastline.

Weather permitting, he runs twice weekly trips to Inishkea South Island. Bring a picnic and have an experience of an absolute lifetime.

https:/…

Reply to: 8 Day Ireland Trip June 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted