We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking across Ireland

2 posts
1 review
hiking across Ireland

I am an American looking on some guidance on doing a long distance hike from Dublin to Dingle to raise money in memory of my son. I have hiked the Camino Frances and the Portuguese Camino but would like some recommendations on routes or places to turn to for more information regarding trekking Ireland. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,735 posts
226 reviews
1. Re: hiking across Ireland

Hi Jeff

You might be interested in The Irish Camino

https:/…

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.…

Wishing you the very best.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: hiking across Ireland

Might be of interest especially the southern sections:

https://www.theirelandway.ie/

2 posts
1 review
3. Re: hiking across Ireland

Thanks for all the help!!

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
437 posts
146 reviews
4. Re: hiking across Ireland

A major part of your plan would be to avoid as much road walking as you can and avail of as much of long distance trails as possible.

Post #2 gives a link to plenty of detail of the Beara to Breiffne walk; not quite along your chosen Dublin- Dingle route. However, you could consider walking the length of the Grand Canal, Dublin to Shannon Harbour and by walking onward through Banagher, link up with the B/B walk at Meelick Lock and head in a southerly direction, possibly as far as Tipperary town.

Will pass on any info on how to progess beyond this point, if I can find it.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,970 posts
5. Re: hiking across Ireland

Nice walk by the River Barrow down in Saint Mullins.

barrowvalley.net/st-mullins/

Edited: 9:15 pm, September 22, 2018
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
437 posts
146 reviews
6. Re: hiking across Ireland

The Barrow offers great hiking opportunities but would be quite a bit of a diversion from the Dublin to Dingle route, unless one wanted to include it in a scenic walk out of Dublin using the Wicklow Way - linking to the Barrow and making onward progress to Dungarvan by the Waterford Greenway.

Looking at my original proposal, I note that one could possibly continue on from Tipperary Town along the Beara/Breiffne Way as far as Millstreet in North Cork. Walking Routes.ie offer a linear walk onwards as far as Shrone, which is described as being in the middle of nowhere - but nevertheless a 18Km walk by road from Killarney.

Pressing onward to Dingle would appear to be only by road as far as Inch, where one can pick up on a section of the Dingle Way that takes you to your final destination.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
301 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: hiking across Ireland

Suggest you read "The Last of the Donkey Pilgrims" by Kevin O'Hara, an American who walked around the coast of Ireland with a donkey and cart.

Reply to: hiking across Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted