We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Galway

Quakertown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
Driving in Galway

My daughter and I (39 and 69) are going to Ireland for 9 days in October. I have been on the fence about driving - she is enthusiastic about traveling by car. We plan to stay the first two nights in Dublin and then were thinking of renting a car for the foloowing 7 days - going south to Kilkenny, then Killarney and up to Galway and back to Dublin. I am most concerned about driving in Galway and am thinking maybe we should either stay outside of Galway and go in for a day or bypass it and go up to Westport and back over. Can anyone help with this plan? I am also thinking of taking a train or bus to Galway and just do day trips from there. My daughter really wants to spend time in the countryside so I am inclined to find the easiest way to do a self driving tour. Thanks for any help you can give me.

18 replies to this topic
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
1. Re: Driving in Galway

We just returned from a similar trip but had a driver. I can tell you that driving in the center of Galway is not fun. It’s a much busier city than I thought. Think bumper to bumper much of the time. Having said that, you don’t have to go far outside the center to escape that. I don’t think the Salthill area was bad at all. In fact, we were frustrated at how busy the center is anyway. All the college kids are back. We couldn’t find a restaurant without an hours wait around the square, shop st etc. Also all the music pubs that were good were Wall to Wall people. Not much chance for a table or to be in the same room as the performers. I didn’t quite expect that.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,880 posts
2. Re: Driving in Galway

In October, no problem. And this central hotel has parking.

https://www.harbour.ie/

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Driving in Galway

Galway traffic scares me spitless....Clifden is a wonderful place and not at all scary to drive in...or Oughterard is lovely too.....

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Driving in Galway

We got lost driving in Galway because of the number of one way streets. We ended up at Galway Cathedral (across the River Corrib) when we were actually staying near Eyre Square, a kind lady gently pointed us to where we needed to go. We just parked our car at the hotel and walked to where we wanted to go in Galway.

Quakertown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Driving in Galway

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I totally will not drive in Galway. That relieves some of my anxiety of driving in Ireland.

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
6. Re: Driving in Galway

Oh, driving in and out of galway...This makes me a little nervous

Quakertown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Driving in Galway

ME TOO!! I like some of the other suggestions and may not even need to go to Galway since there are so many great towns and villages to explore. We will get our city life in Dublin and will save Galway for another trip. Thanks to Trip Advisor.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,880 posts
8. Re: Driving in Galway

Getting lost is the nicest way to find your bearings.

It's not as if you're driving in some large city metropolis.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Driving in Galway

LK you always make me laugh....it may not be a large city but the last time I drove there, 2015, I had a headache the size of basketball....I was a nervous wreck every time I realized I was back where I started about 3 turns ago....LOL

Rhode Island, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Driving in Galway

We drove to Galway after an overnight flight (arrived in Shannon). Download Google maps offline and you'll be fine. We stayed at Harbor Hotel and walked into to city center. Beware of the parking garage at the hotels though. They are really tight entering, exiting and parking.

Reply to: Driving in Galway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted