We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with November trip!

Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
301 posts
86 reviews
Help with November trip!

Hi yall. I have been a member of this community on and off over the years. Back in '14 you helped me plan a most amazing 2 week roadtrip in Ireland that took place in late september/early october. We had 2 weeks of blue skies and no rain, it was the simply the most amazing trip!!!! This November we are returning for only a week (8 Days, 7 nights) as part of a larger European trip. We are flying into Cork and out of Dublin (same as last time) and plan to hit some of the same sites, but also, of course, would like to hit new ones! We will have a friend with us who has never been out of the USA and this will be her first stop. So we are very excited to take her to our #1 favorite country.

Some sites we plan to hit again but mostly we want to find new treasures. We only have a week and we plan to do extensive driving. I know some may agree and some may disagree, however this is what we plan to do! I am accustomed to driving on the other side of the road, having lived abroad.

Our basic list of must's;

Dingle and surrounding area for at least a day, maybe two. That is our favorite spot in all of Ireland- and though we do expect the weather to be unpredictable and potentially bad, the location holds many memories. We are concerned about conor pass possibly getting snow? We would like to attempt to see Skellig island if the weather cooperates.

Cliffs of Moher- no significant amount of time needed here, an hour or two at most. Friend traveling with us has it as a must see.

I'd like to see Donegal

and...thats basically it. We will likely visit the gap of dunloe again and probably pass through some of our favourite and previously visited villages like kinsale. However we LOVE castles and randomly exploring and finding new things. So we want to leave adequate time for that. HOWEVER wed love suggestions on perhaps castles to go find or villages (we love the adorable little irish villages) to go see or scenic vistas to go explore or possibly even a hike or two to do if the weather is decent! On our previous trip we did some of the bigger tourist hits like Ross castle and banratty and such. We are ok finding ruins of castles just to wander about and explore. We prefer to follow the coastline despite possible bad weather. Wed love any suggestions! We are even open to going up to northern Ireland since we plan to go to Donegal anyways. We have never been up there.

Any suggestions for cozy yet superb pubs to find- even if they are in the middle of nowhere! Live music preferred but not a must. We simply enjoy the atmosphere.

Any other recommendations for a dreary November visit from a couple people who simply love everything about Ireland.

9 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
17,033 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Help with November trip!

You may not still love Ireland after a week in the car in the cold, wet and dark, and your friends will probably not want to return.

From cork up the west coast to Donegal in a week would be too much driving in June. In November it will by be miserable. At least you can cross Skellig Michael off the list, there will be no boat trips in November.

Snow blocking the Connor pass is a rarity. It happened in March this year. Ice early morning and late afternoon is a possibility as the sun never gets there in winter, but it is always possible to drive to the top from the Dingle side, just for the view, and back down again, then drive on to Tralee on the proper road.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
32,838 posts
2. Re: Help with November trip!

I'd base in and enjoy touring from.

Killarney, three days.

Galway, three days.

Dublin four days.

With just seven days in November, I too would skip Donegal.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Help with November trip!

with such a short visit and with such short days your plan is just not realistic.....sorry.....

Letterkenny...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Help with November trip!

HI *waves from Donegal*

You arrive in Cork and you only have a short time so I would suggest you bypass places you have been before and if you do want to visit Donegal you do the 4 and a half hour journey to Donegal, spend time here (say at least 3 days with a very busy itinerary) and then use your remaining 5 days to visit places on the way back down to Cork. Here in Donegal you can visit the highest (accessible) sea cliffs in Europe at Sliabh League (1972 feet and over 3 times as high as the Cliffs of Moher) and not only that but the same day take a boat trip under said cliffs (which is amazing and hopefully see our dolphins). In that area you can travel through Glengesh which is an amazing gap formed during the ice age. You can take the waterbus in Donegal Town which takes an hour long trip into Donegal Bay with the most amazing views of the bay and the many little islands around it. During that trip you can see the building that emigrants during the famine got their tickets. In Ardara you can visit Nancy's Bar which sells the very best and freshest oysters in the world and is the ONLY place I would ever eat oysters. If you are interested in antiquity you can see the finest dolmen in Ireland at Kilclooney and at Dunkineely you can see the finest example of and oldest Celtic crosses in Ireland which pe-dates the Christina high crosses (7thc). I could go on :-) but feel free to ask any Qs about our beautiful Donegal. :-)

Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
301 posts
86 reviews
5. Re: Help with November trip!

Thank you! We have an established itinerary and definitely plan 3 Dayan in donegal! You have been most helpful :)

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
443 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Help with November trip!

You certainly won’t be able to visit the Skelligs, I’m afraid . Could you fly from Kerry to Donegal- would save driving?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
17,033 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Help with November trip!

No flights from here to Donegal. Just Luton, Stansted, Dublin and Frankfurt Hahn.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Help with November trip!

You could connect in Dublin, but it still sacrifices a day to the journey. There aren't even flights from Cork or Shannon to Donegal, so those second-best options are out.

I'm with the others on this. It woudn't make sense in the height of summer, so given the lack of daylight and increased risk of bad weather, it's really not to be attempted in November.

You do have some scope to add to your itinerary, but there must be better placed areas you haven't visited.

Have you been to Mizen or Beara in West Cork? What about the South-East (Wexford & Wicklow)? Or if you want castles, the Blackwater Valley, valleys of the Three Sisters (Suir, Nore & Barrow rivers) or the edge of The Pale are all thick with them?

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
443 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Help with November trip!

Ah and I thought I had it sorted , thanks , Fuschia .

Reply to: Help with November trip!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted