We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Female...trains or bus?

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Topic
Single Female...trains or bus?

Hello and thanks in advance for all replies!

The entire itinerary is that I have a week and a half split between paris and amsterdam and then I can either

1) head back to paris and go to ireland from there or

2) go to london, edinburgh, glasgow, then to ireland. Is it hard to get from Scotland to the Republic? Any other suggestions?

I plan on being in Ireland for about two and a half weeks. What's the best way to get around? I'm thinking about buying a railpass here in the US but it seems, from some of the posts, that trains aren't the best way to go. Are the buses safe? HOw difficult is it to book a seat on the train or bus?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated as it's my first time there and I don't think I'll be able to rent a car and drive by myself without risking the lives of others.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
North Carolina
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Female...trains or bus?

lostinspace125,

Depending on what part of Ireland you're in, trains aren't always the way to go. Especially in the West and Southwest, getting around by train isn't your best bet because there aren't many tracks that run. I took a train from Dublin to Sligo, which was a great experience! I had no problems whatsoever, and the scenery out the window was fantastic.

Buses are your best bet if traveling within the West and Southwest, and any area that isn't accessable by train. I personally have no problem with taking the train, but like you, I've heard some people say that it isn't the best way to go.

Hope this will help somewhat.

Good luck, and have WONDERFUL trip!

Steph

Mentioned in this post
The West Cork Hotel
The West Cork Hotel
526 Reviews
Skibbereen, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Sligo
Sligo
County Sligo, Ireland
ireland
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Female...trains or bus?

buses are perfectly safe, as are the trains. Well, the very last commuter bus in a city at night is not much fun on your own, but the intercity ones are fine. Details on www.buseireann.ie A railpass might be a waste of money, as the rail network is a bit limited, and tends to fan out of Dublin. see www.irishrail.ie

It's easy and straightforward to get tickets for train and bus. At peak times, like friday evenings, Sunday nights, they can get crowded and best arrive a bit early in the station.

Personally I take train over bus any day, but buses go more places

To get from Scotland to Ireland you can take the ferry from Stranraer in Scotland to Larne, just NOrth of Belfast, and take a train SOuth to Dublin. Again, straghtforward and easy

best of luck ...

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Female...trains or bus?

hi l.a.

i wouldn't do either the bus or train....rent a car...it is the only way to travel in ireland...on the bus or train you just see everything zoom by and when you see something you would like to explore, you can't....

i am 59 years old and drive in ireland everytime....i will be traveling alone this year (starting may 12th ending the 29th) and i am not the least bit afraid of being alone.....the car gives you the freedom the stop and see the "real" ireland...if i can do it, i know you can....go for it....

there are so many things to see and you won't do anything but pass them if traveling on public transportation.....

have a wonderful time....

Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Female...trains or bus?

spacer,

i would check out www.ryanair.com early. you might get a flight from glasgow to dublin cork or shannon from only a few euro one way and it will save you hours by not getting a ferry. renting a car is no bother here but finding your way around in the trafic in the cities can be a bit of a hassle.

buses are safe and have a better schedule.

enjoy...

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,019 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Female...trains or bus?

Ryanair do a flight from Beauvais (outside Paris) to Shannon (ryanair.com) and Aer Lingus fly from Paris to Dublin or Cork. (aerlingus.com). You can get great value on flights, depending on when you travel.

London-Ireland is manageable by air but if you go up to Edinburgh & Glasgow, you are going to complicate issues slightly. Will you fly, drive or travel by train to Scotland? You can fly from Edinburgh & Glasgow to Dublin, but because these flights are lower volume than Paris/London - Dublin/Cork prices are much higher.

Why do you not think you have the ability to drive in Ireland? If you can drive in LA, then you should be fine!!

Busses and trains are fine here, but busses have greater coverage. www.buseireann.ie (bus details) www.iarnrodeireann.ie (train details). Good Luck & have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork