We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

Fremont, CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

There are five of us traveling to Ireland, my husband and I and our 3 kids (ages 22,19,16). It looks like at most hotels, the biggest room is a quad - sleeping 4 people. Is it doable to bring a sleeping bag and someone always will sleep on the floor. Husband not too keen on hostels. Any thoughts for booking hotels for 5 people?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Pax Guest House
Pax Guest House
#1 of 10 hotels in Dingle
Castlewood House
Castlewood House
#2 of 10 hotels in Dingle
The Killarney Park Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
#1 of 38 hotels in Killarney
15 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
308 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

Personally, if hotels were the choice, I would book a family room for the teen and young adults and a separate room for myself and my husband. Have you considered B&B's? Many charge reasonable rates on a per person sharing basis and would similarly grant you two rooms if you plan far enough in advance. I don't know how long your stay is and I'm not opposed to giving my young adult children the "cheap seats" when necessary but cramming us all into one hotel room and relegating one person to a sleeping bag after that long of a flight would not seem vacation like to us.

Another thought--self catering? You could base yourself in one corner of the country and spoke out from there--rent a place for a week, really get to know the particular location and enjoy it, and you could have room for everyone to be together but still have beds?

Most hostels wouldn't work for me at my age either, so I agree with your husband there.

What's your budget (per night in Euro?)

Fremont, CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

Thanks for your input. We are staying 7 or 8 nights. Then headed to Scotland for 7 or 8 nights. This is a very pricey trip so was trying to avoid paying for 2 rooms a night. I will look at B&B's. I LOVE talking to local families but husband not so much. Ha! So I'll keep researching!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
308 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

Gotcha. I totally understand.

I'm an extrovert, hubs is an introvert so I get that part too--it's always a balance. :)

There may be some larger family rooms that could accommodate you all in beds or roll in a cot. Also, there are a number of B&B's that are more like "Guest Houses" (and often billed as such) --the best of both worlds you could say--maybe suit your husband better as they might not be as intimate as a B&B. Just a thought. Where are you basing yourselves and at what time of year? People here more familiar with the lodging options might be able to help you narrow things down with a little more info.

We have found self-catering to be budget friendly--especially when traveling with the kids-more for our money and have usually been able to find a home or cottage for around 100 Euro a night when we've booked 3 to 7 day stretches (and then there's the food savings of course)--our tastes are modest and we've always been perfectly fine at that price point.

Edited: 6:51 pm, June 19, 2018
Fremont, CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

I'm just starting to plan this trip for June 2019. Right now, I'm looking at 3 nights in Dublin (with 1 day trip bus tour to Giants Causeway and Belfast), 2 nights in Galway (with day trip to Cliffs of Moher), and 2 nights in Killarney or Kenmare with Ring of Kerry trip. I need to figure out if we should do Scotland first then Ireland or Ireland to Scotland. Looking at rental cars too, but again, with family of 5 we may have to rent a minivan which is more money as well. Thinking about flying into one airport (Dublin) and flying out of Shannon airport. I know there is sooo much to see but also want to enjoy our time so minimum of 2 night stays for us. Any thoughts? Have you been to Ireland a lot?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
9,064 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,769 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
308 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

You are very smart to plan early and figure things out now, and that will definitely help you budget--easier to find deals and book things to suit your ideal in advance.

I haven't been over a lot measured against many of the frequent travelers here. I am still very much learning myself. I am currently planning my 6th trip over. This trip will be the first just my husband and me--definitely easier to do it on a budget. Just flying 5 people and yes, the car, are a huge investment. You won't need a car in Dublin and you could potentially take the train to Galway (or express bus which is very easy) and not need a car there either (I expect your kids will LOVE Galway) . You could rent the car in Galway for just the last couple of nights of driving and drop it at Shannon. (I personally like flying in to DUB and out of SNN best but have not always done it that way).

Back to hotels, in Dublin, others here have mentioned (but I haven't stayed myself) Jervis Apts. https:/…jervis-apartments.html

Says max four but much roomier and with a couch so if the establishment permits the fifth person something like that could be an option.

I am the sort of person who likes to spend a few nights in each place too--it means we cover less territory but it's so much more enjoyable to me and I loathe the packing/unpacking. Also, hotel deals will often discount stays of 3 or 4 nights so that's something to consider. We booked a hotel for our next visit that had a 4 night special that reduced the price by 15%. (10% for three nights). Other hotels I've noticed make these same offers.

Edited: 7:23 pm, June 19, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport
Dublin, Ireland
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

We're staying at The Dunloe near Killarney. They have family rooms that hold 5. Parents have a separate bedroom/bath and there are 3 additional beds and a bath.

Mentioned in this post
The Dunloe Hotel and Gardens
The Dunloe Hotel and...
58 Reviews
Beaufort, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,842 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

Fly to Scotland first, then Edinburgh to Dublin, and home from Shannon, that way you can avail of pre clearance at Shannon airport.

Rooms here are not as big as you are used to. You cannot cram five adults into a four person family room, get two rooms, then you will have two bathrooms.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Shannon Airport
Shannon Airport
Shannon, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,338 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

You can't just sneak another person into a room.

And you will find it difficult to get rooms that will allow 4 adults.

If you are on a budget, think about hostels.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

If you know your dates have a look at Deal Rush they are a voucher company that sell seals on hotels etc. around Ireland some very good deals to be had especially for mid week stays.

Mentioned in this post
Deal
Deal
Kent, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,829 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5

You've been given great advice already. As a family of 5 I totally understand the budget issues too but in reality although they are your children, they are all over 12 and most places would consider them to be adults.

Self catering is definitely the way to go. There aren't many 'suite type' hotels here that can accommodate 5 in a room.

Carhire will be an issue too - you'll need a larger 7 seater to fit 5 adults plus baggage comfortably.

You will run onto the same issues re room size and car size in Scotland too.

The good thing is you've started planning early so will have time to work it all out and have a very special family holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Reply to: Booking Accomodations for a family of 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted