We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

Day 3 had breakfast and checked out of Buswells.

We reserved a car with Hertz, at the city center location. DH was in charge of all things car, so his call.

I am going to go on a bit about our experience, but, since there are so many car rental questions on this forum, I thought it might be helpful.

We walked to the rental center. A little far with luggage in tow, but absolutely manageable. It was a beautiful day- if it was raining, we'd take a taxi. We arrived at 10 AM and the place was PACKED! I waited outside with the bags- no way we would all fit. I had a very nice chat with a young woman from Australia (also on luggage duty) while we waited. About 20 minutes later, we had our car. I was surprised, especially because there were people on line ahead of us still waiting. DH later told me they all were waiting for automatics and they had to get more from another location.

We took out full Super coverage. We did return the car without any dings or such, but seriously, the peace of mind is absolutely worth the additional cost. It does sting to see that the insurance is more than the rental price, just chalk it up to it is what it is.

They did a once-over, took pictures, so did we, and that was that. They were incredibly busy, but we didn't get any explanation of car features, etc... There also was no manual in the car. A little daunting. I understand that they may not want to leave a full owners manual in the car, but even a basic cheat sheet would have been appreciated. Next time we rent, we'll go on line before hand and see if we can find a PDF manual for the model we're renting so we'll have some point of reference.

These are some things we learned about the car- some from forum posts, others by experience.

We rented a VW Golf. That's about as large of a car as we'd rent in Ireland. It was a great car, and we were happy with it mostly. The trunk (boot) is tiny. We could fit one suitcase and both backpacks, so one suitcase had to go in the backseat. Disappointing, because we didn't want to park our car with luggage visible for any length of time, so on travel days it was from hotel to hotel.

To get the car to go in reverse, you have to press the shift down, and then shift into gear (new one on us).

Next to the gear shift, there's a little button that has an A with a circle around it. That's a fuel saver, it feels like the car stalls out when you come to a stop, but it doesn't. We turned the button off. I'd recommend doing that until you get your driving legs under you.

The cars mirrors retract when you lock the doors when the car is off. You can also retract the mirrors using the lever on the driver side door. The lever also can turn on defogger s for the mirrors.

Our car had a park assist sensor which is helpful. It also has a obstruction sensor. It went off while we were driving, and it's loud! Scared the snot out of us. Luckily, we saw the dash display, realized what it was, and then saw a massive pile of road apples it had warned us of, so great feature, just be prepared for the alarm.

It also sounds an alarm if you drive more than 2 hours. A little message pops up telling you to take a break. Only happened once, and we were a block away from our destination, so NBD, just a little unsettling.

DH had no issues with driving or shifting on the left. We also breezed out of Dublin with virtually no traffic ( maybe because it was a weekend?). We also virtually drove the route out of Dublin a number of times using Google Maps before our trip. That helped A LOT. We recognized most of the route, and knew what to expect.

We still have a question about traffic lights. ( Only remember seeing these types in Dublin and Galway, but I expect they are more common than that). The main light turned red and we stopped. Two directional lights turned green, but it didn't look like either were pointing the way we wanted to go, but the cars ahead of us went, and we got honked at when we hesitated. Might just be one of those things?

When we returned the car, we found a gas station about 5 minutes away from the rental agency. It cost about 45 Euro to fill the tank ( versus the 120 cc hold they charge for refueling. It's refunded when you return the car with a full tank. Make sure you have a full tank!). The return was easy, and we were on our merry way.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Wild...
1,205 Reviews
from $53.70*
Best Seller
Giant’s Causeway and Northern Ireland...
Best Seller
Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher Day...
421 Reviews
from $47.70*
12 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,319 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

irelandherewecome,

Thank you for the share, there are certainly lot's of devices on today's vehicles, my vehicle this past year had a sensor for freezing road conditions.

Kesh_grammy

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

Very helpful report.

As regards the green traffic lights: Sometimes directional lights will come on first, followed by a general green. The general green means you can proceed in any direction

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

Different cars have different features, and it sounds like your car was pretty new. The reverse gear location is not standard across car types - your description of how it worked in your car is new to me too. I'm finding it hard to visualise the traffic light set-up that you came across, so can't help there. I have to ask, what on earth are 'road apples'????

NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

Amazing what cars can do- mostly for the good. Ice detection would be great to have in NJ!

Thanks Soonas, that does make sense, the arrow didn't seem to be pointing our way, but given the circumstances, it must have been. I guess if you are used to the lights, you just know.

Andarma... Oh gosh, road apples= horse manure. 😳

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

"The general green means you can proceed in any direction"

Not exactly. From the Rules of the Road:

"A green light means you may go on if the way is clear. Take special care if you intend to turn left or right and give way to pedestrians who are crossing. A green light is not a right of way – it is an indication that you can proceed with caution.

REMEMBER

A green light is not a right of way, it is an indication that you may proceed with caution, but only if the way is clear."

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

I have never heard of road apples before. Yuck!!! Not something I ever come across in central and suburban Dublin!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,250 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

loved reading about your rental car experience....it will no doubt help a future traveler....as for the manual, the only thing about reading or printing them is that you don't always get the make of car you think you will....sites usually say "VW Golf, or similar".......I just always stay in the car lot and try out everything that's needed most, like lights, turn signal, windshield whippers, etc......

NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

Sorry Andarma... I forget where it happened, but it was not in Dublin.

Yeah, I know we could be wasting our time finding a manual. Our car was parked on the street, we did take a couple of minutes to see what's what, but felt like a sitting duck, and wanted to get out of the way. If we were in a lot, we would have taken the time.

One other thing we did that I forgot to include with my post was we found an Irish driving test prep video on YouTube. It drove you through what a "behind the wheel" test would include. It was helpful because it reviewed some laws, and street signs, etc... Small thing, but it helped us prepare.

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

Even in rural Ireland , as driving becomes more agressive ,you'd be hard pressed to find " road apples !"

We don't hack any of our horses along the local roads any more as it's just not safe to do so.

You might find one or two illegal trotters racing on an urban road in the suburbs , but otherwise , you'd be safe !!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
741 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty

Harvey, it was most likely the trotters. I saw a few of them in my travels.

Reply to: Trip Report (part 2) Rental Car in Dublin & Driving Lefty
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted