We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Ireland

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
car rental in Ireland

I just returned from Ireland and want to share the mistake we made. We enjoyed Ireland but the car rental company put a black cloud over the entire trip. We rented from Hertz in Dublin. We rented in advance and paid for a mid sized car for eight days. The base price was about $140 for the car. They recommended an additional $476 for insurance which we also paid. When we arrived in Dublin on 9-15-17 the add ons continued when we were under the impression we had paid for everything. We needed"super" coverage or we were required to leave a credit card to cover any damage. When we asked what the $476 in insurance that we had already paid covered, they didn't have an answer for us. We ended up paying almost $900 for 8 days. We did not receive a mid sized car but a car so small that only one piece of luggage fit in the trunk. The car had body damage and over heated. We would have had higher fees but we refused the addition for GPS of $65. They are not walking distance at the airport as it implies. You have to shuttle. I'm personally sorry that we hadn't researched more to realize the Hertz was a bad choice. I hope this helps someone else. Jill

56 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,767 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Ireland

Hi Jill..

Sorry, so wish you would of come on the Ireland forum before you rented the vehicle... I would guess there must be multiple threads & new posts everyday on this Forum regarding renting a vehicle & the ins & outs different types of insurance coverage.. Just to say, I have rented from Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Europcar & Dooley, and so far I have not had any issues with the different companies.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 12:20 pm, September 27, 2017
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Ireland

For whatever reason, most credit cards will not provide car rental insurance in Ireland, so that first $476 you paid was just for the basic coverage that you would normally not need to buy. That lowers your deductible in case of an accident to around $2300, if I remember correctly. The super cover eliminates the deductible entirely for all issues other than tires, mirrors, and glass. Since there isn't a deductible, they don't put the hold on your card if you buy the Super Cover.

I've only rented from hertz, but from my research, the insurance is similar across most rental companies in Ireland.

On your next visit you might try using Conn's Ireland Car Rental. It is still a hertz rental, but you get all of the insurance figured in when you make your reservation and I haven't found better prices anywhere else for a Hertz rental.

Jake

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Ireland

We paid for the following from Enterprise.

Each of these items come with a separate cost:

* Compact car rental

* Automatic Transmission

* Pick up / Drop off in different locations

* Insurance CDW / SCDW / Windows / Tyres / Wheels / Undercarriage / Theft Coverages

* Fuel Pre-Pay

* Airport Fees

* Tax(es)

NO CC HOLD....200 Euro Deductible...Paid in Full in Advance with NO surprises at the end.

Grand total for 14 full days was $1,100 US....FYI - The car alone was advertised at $29.95 per day.

This is our 6th visit and we always self-drive and fully insure, with an automatic trans.

ALL car rental companies sucker people with the basic rental fees advertised. Enterprise / Dooley are the most transparent, but you still need to understand the rules, regulations and cost associated with rental in Ireland. DO NOT ASSUME THAT EVERYTHING IS JUST LIKE 'HOME."

Having said all of that, I would not visit Ireland any other way than the freedom of self-drive. It's worth the money, IMHO.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,852 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Ireland

my betting is that you booked on the hertz.com american site which does NOT include cdw. this would have been evident in your summary of the booking, so you maybe did not read the terms? once here, you did of course have to take cdw which was subject to an excess. the excess could be reduced to nil by paying the extra for scdw (around 20€ per day)

what car did you get? you chose the grouping of the car but if you were provided with one in a lower group, you should be entitled to a refund of the difference

as regards damage? as long as you were aware of that, there is no problem. most cars rented by visitors from the states, end up being damaged some way and the company does not take them out of circulation for want of a few dings.

overheating? how did this manifest itself?

as regards collecting the car? all rental cars bar a few for priority customers are in the main car hire car park used by all companies. they all use shuttle buses or you could indeed walk to the park.

hertz in america is not au fait with the irish operation so there can be minor differences

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in Ireland

I imagine the difference is that they don't accept our American insurance as coverage while we were in Ireland. I've not had my American insurance coverage not suffice in other countries. It is a legal issue in Ireland.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in Ireland

I was shocked by the cost and lack of transparency with Hertz Ireland. I recently rented a car from Enterprise in the US. It was a larger car than we received in Ireland. My total cost was $21/day vs $110 in Ireland. I realize different country, different rules. I felt that Hertz Ireland overcharged.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,586 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in Ireland

In the last month, I have seen one hire car involved in a crash on a roundabout outside Galway, been overtaken by another at considerable speed on the M7 (we were doing 120kph) and almost knocked down by a third hire car outside King John's Castle in Limerick. It did an illegal u-turn and then drove through a red-light pedestrian crossing (I was just coming off the crossing),

Some people who hire cars here seem to think that rules are for snowflakes. Which is why car hire is so problematic here.

Edited: 2:41 pm, September 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,852 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in Ireland

hertz charged their going rate! you accepted. hertz anywhere is usually more expensive than others. that is why they have dollar thrifty as a budget brand.

and in addition to beans comments, last week two americans in a hire car were unfortunately killed as they turned across the front of a large truck.

by the way, SOME credit cards are accepted for cdw insurance in ireland, but it means leaving a hold of mav=ybe 5000€ on your cc, and there will also be an admin charge

however, it pays to read the t and c of any rental BEFORE you accept. failure to do so is the usual reason for complaints on these fora!

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in Ireland

My basic point remains. If the extra charges were transparent we wouldn't have rented from Hertz. The person that made the rental is an attorney. We didn't have an accident but the car had been in an accident and not repaired. The driving is completely different and is challenging. My point is that Hertz cost 5 times what it would cost in the USA. That's extreme!! You would be upset if this happened when you travel.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,852 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental in Ireland

the price is the price! everybody else has to endure the high costs! you can get cheaper deals with other companies. for instance as i mentioned above, had you gone to dollar thrifty , a hertz company, the costs would have been less. it was YOU who chose hertz

then you say that the person who made the booking is an attorney? what does that matter? he is going to be charged the same amount as me, a mere pleb, would be charged. if you dont like it, then use our wonderful public transport !

and an attorney should have enough sense not to drive a car that apparently had been in an accident! but i would be 100 sure that the car was completely roadworthy.

the charges are apparent. when you booked it would have shown that cdw was NOT included. It also draws your attention to the special t and c for ireland, and any other country.

and of course the driving is different and challenging. if i went over to the states, i would meet with the same challenges. but i do in fact drive on the continent of europe and have no problems driving on the right in an lhd car. been doing it for 20 years and ne'er an accident (touch wood!)

to be honest, despite being an attorney, you failed on the most basic of contract conditions....failed to read the t and c yet signed as having read and accepted them !

Reply to: car rental in Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted