We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Today is the day

Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Today is the day

Tonight I will be flying taking an evening flight into Shannon. With the time difference, I will be landing around 8 AM. Are there any good breakfast places around the Shannon airport? I apologize if this is been posted before.

My plan I is to pick up the rental car (Dan Dooley), have a good breakfast and if I am awake and comfortable enough I will drive to Galway. If I can't drive (do you to jet lag), Will surrender my lodging in Galway for a night in Shannon.

That's my day one plan. To get there, assess my abilities, get the car, get something to eat, reassess my abilities, stay in Shannon, or drive into Galway where I will stay for the night.

10 replies to this topic
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Today is the day

Hi Deborah, have a good flight and hope you enjoy your trip to Ireland.

Maybe consider heading to Ennis after picking up your car.

Most of the breakfast places will be open at 9 and you could have a wander around town to stretch your legs and get a bit of fresh air before heading on to Galway.

My favourite place for a good breakfast at a reasonable price is the Market bar in the centre of town.

http://www.themarketbarennis.com

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Today is the day

Deborah..

Ireland awaits you..I love Ennis, however, as soon as you walk out of the doors to the airport arrival area where the ATM machine, info & vehicle rental desks are, to your left is the airport cafe..fairly good coffee, scones & breakfast choices..

Or have a light bite & then head to Ennis as Banner Girl has suggested..

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 12:41 pm, September 24, 2017
Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Today is the day

Galway is about an hours' drive from Shannon. Like Kesh suggests, have a coffee and a scone in the airport to adjust. Clarinbridge is 45 minutes drive and there is a lovely spot to stop there. Past the school, on your left, there is a small shopping area and the café, the name escapes me, is there. Most of the drive is motorway, no tolls, so fairly straightforward.

Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Today is the day

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be boarding the plane in an hour and be there in time for coffee and a scone tomorrow morning. Way exciting!!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Today is the day

Bon voyage.

Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Today is the day

Due to fog in Shannon, we were diverted to Dublin airport. They will be providing bus service to Shannon. Unfortunately no breakfast in Ennis, but I am in Ireland!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Today is the day

Silver linings - enjoy the views, have a snooze,, read the news. Almost a haiku!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Today is the day

You are in luck. It's a beautiful autumn day for a trip across Ireland.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Today is the day

Definitely, make the most of tomorrow as the weather is changing on Wednesday (or so we're told). Connemara was stunning today on the drive in from Recess. Maybe forgo Foher and just drive as much as you can to see some amazing scenery.

I'd advise going up to Tully Cross and heading onward to Lettergesh Beach. This will be spectacular with all the islands on show - Inishbofin, Inishshark, Inishturk, Caher Island and Clare Island. I'd definitely get over to Roundstone too and maybe walk a bit of the Inis Ní trail as far as the old cemetery.

https://goo.gl/P8Gczb

Edited: 1:23 pm, September 25, 2017
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,288 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Today is the day

Deborah, have a fantastic time....hopefully you got a little nap in on the bus and were ready to head to Galway :-)

Reply to: Today is the day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted