We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring cheese into ireland?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Can I bring cheese into ireland?

Hi all,

I will be returning from Canada this week to Ireland and have fallen in love with poutine. I want to take some cheese to make my own but I'm not sure if I can bring it? Does anyone know?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I bring cheese into ireland?

A quick google search led direction to the customs regulation page which states:

Bringing in meat or dairy products

Only products which have been produced in accordance with EU rules may be imported for personal consumption.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I bring cheese into ireland?

Dairy produce is banned.

agriculture.gov.ie/agri-foodindustry/tradeim…

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I bring cheese into ireland?

Poutine is made with cheese curds. I can't imagine with all the great cheese available in Ireland there aren't cheese curd you can buy to make poutine.

Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I bring cheese into ireland?

If you'll be in Galway, you'll find Poutine on the menu at the Chili Shack. I was surprised to see it served there, but the workers explained that they had an employee from Canada who taught them how to make it.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,282 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I bring cheese into ireland?

I learned the hard way you can't bring cheese :-(

Level Contributor
274 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I bring cheese into ireland?

Alright I'll bite... lol... why would you bring in cheese when Ireland has some of the best cheese around... yummy.. Can't wait to come again.

7. Re: Can I bring cheese into ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 18, 2018