We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

nyc
Level Contributor
203 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

I just came home from my trip. Several hotels that I asked to pay in Euros rather than USD just put it through USD, which comes out to more money. One hotel, I asked the girl at desk three times, as it clearly stated it was euros and she debated me and sure enough, my bill went through USD. Has anyone had this problem? I am having problems with hearing back through email.

23 replies to this topic
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

The practice is called Dynamic Currency Conversion and here's why merchants do it:

elliott.org/the-navigator/…

From an older topic (2012) here's how another US visitor to Ireland dealt with the same issue as you now have and got refunded:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18659…

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
2. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, October 19, 2017

nyc
Level Contributor
203 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

It happened with three hotels. My favorite hotel got back to me in five minutes and they are resubmitting my bill to credit card. The other two is Brehon in Killarney and Juries Inn in Galway. I asked the girl in Juries Inn many times when checking out, as receipt seemed as if it went through USD and she assured me over and over. I did not have a good experience at that hotel. I am waiting to see what happens before I put a review on them. Someone there is looking into it and said the girl who checked me in is on her annual leave. Not sure what that has to do with fixing this. Brehon I emailed three times and nobody got back to me. Of course when I was booking my hotel and emailed them, they contacted me shortly after. We also had a couple of drinks in the bar so I requested a whole printout of our stay so I can check what I was charged for, on top of not charging us in euros.

Edited: 11:42 am, August 31, 2017
Mentioned in this post
The Brehon
The Brehon
2,548 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
4. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, August 31, 2017

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

Complain both to the hotel involved and to Failte Ireland

Edited: 2:05 pm, August 31, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

Dispute it with your credit card if the hotel will not correct it. The only way to stop it is for merchants to start getting hit with chargebacks (which is probably unlikely to help). You can prevent it by using an Amex card (where accepted) since they do not allow DCC.

nyc
Level Contributor
203 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

I had no idea I would have this problem. I only learned on here to pay everything in euros. I would never have known. I went through my charges on credit card and it seems that the only time this was a problem was with the hotels. The restaurants did not do this. Juries Inn said they will credit me and resubmit. Brehon only sent me an invoice after several emails, as they said they are very busy, and according to my CC company, they charged me in USD, even though I specified VERY clearly at check in we were paying in Euros. I finally got an invoice of my stay from them and now on my 5th email, I asked them to resubmit my charges. It's very disappointing I am spending my first couple of days home going through charges and email after email trying to rectify this.

Mentioned in this post
The Brehon
The Brehon
2,548 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
nyc
Level Contributor
203 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

I am having problems with one hotel as they seem to making it hard to do this, even though I was specific at check in. I have sent about 8 emails to them. Nice way to deal with coming home. I will sit down in a few days and do a complete review of all my stays and this for sure will be included in my review of this specific hotel

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

Again I would just go to your bank and let them fight it. A five minute phone call to the number on the back of your card will likely take care of it. It is easy to ignore your e-mail. They are not going to ignore the charge back from Visa/MC.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros

Its terrible that happened Butterfly but how much are you out of pocket? Just wondering if the amount is worth all the grief you're having? Totally understand the principle of it but is it actually worth it?

Reply to: Hotels charging me in USD when I asked for it to be Euros
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted