We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor

Hillsboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor

Hello there. My friend and I are taking a grand tour of The British Isles. We'll be backpacking for a month and relying mostly on public transportation and hostels/cheaper B&B's. We'll be traveling to Skye during the middle of may and I was put in charge of researching our trip and scheduling the itinerary.

The only problem I'm coming across is that there isn't much information out there. My mother says our family was from skye and I don't want to have to miss it. Trip Advisor has been very helpful so far but I'm hoping the people who have been there before could help me out with a few things. We'll probably be staying anywhere from 1-2 nights. (I don't even know how much time to dedicate to the isle...)

- What is the best way to see the isle without a car?

- Major cities have tour buses and the like is there a system like that on the isle?

- What are some sights that we shouldn't miss?

I would greatly appreciate any help

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor

Here are some websites to get you started in your research http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/. http://www.isleofskye.com. undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areaskye/index.ht…

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor

Hi. What interests you both? What sort of things do you like to do? Skye is great for hiking, coastal walking, sealife watching, boat trips etc. There is also a distillery. It isn't for swish nightclubs or fashion shopping.

You can get around on local buses, but that does limit your options. There are a couple of local taxi companies. There is no HOHO bus.

Check out TravelineScotland for bus timetables.

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,851 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor

If you are going to go all the way to Skye you need to give it longer than one or two nights. It's a big island, and without a car you will find that getting around is slow and complicated, on infrequent buses that don't cover the whole island. I suggest at least three nights, which will give you two complete days. May is a good time to go - the daylight hours are wonderfully long, and there's even a chance you might have good weather ;-)

Hillsboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor

Okay so from what I'm getting from everywhere is that public transit on the isle would be a complete nightmare. So it would probably be in my best interest to rent a car for a day. There are several taxi companies that give tours but that probably wouldn't be very cost effective...I have sent emails to them for quotes but a car would only be 50 pounds or so... and that would be split between the two of us.

To answer everyone's questions...

Abs: What interests us. We aren't really accomplished hikers but we can manage smaller treks. I don't think we'll be heading up any mountains in the alps anytime soon though...we wanted to go skye to see the beautiful scenery that the isle provides, not to shop or party (i'm sure we'll get enough of that in Edinburgh and later in Dublin)

Dhmellor: I would love to give it more than two nights but I already had to cut out time to even get more than one. With a car do you think it would be doable with two nights? Or am I asking too much of my schedule. I'm afraid that I'll have to cut it completely or settle for one of those expensive and fast bus tours...and I really don't wanna do that.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,851 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor

A hire car will make a big big difference. Two nights is still not enough, but if you have a car you will be in a much better position to make the best of the short time that you have.

Hillsboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitor

Okay so new questions...since I only have two days...

1. Where should I stay on the island?

2. What sights should I not miss? I've looked up the info previously given but I want other's opinions not just descriptions from the tourism group.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitor

Complete nightmare? Maybe not *complete* :-)

Firstly the tourist bit. www.stagecoachbus.com/DiscoverSkye2013.aspx But it does suggest a few good places to visit, and it has a map showing where other buses run.

In addition to that there are longer distance buses from Glasgow or Inverness, which you can also use while on the island.

There are two obvious places where these bus routes intersect: Portree and Broadford. Without a car, you would be best advised to look there, in order to give you some flexibility.

Transport for North Skye www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx…

Transport for South Skye www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx…

There are bus timetables, but they are really designed for the benefit of locals, rather than tourists - some are school runs with room for others.

Local car hire - look at Kyle of Lochalsh. http://www.skyecarhire.co.uk/ Also http://www.morarmotors.co.uk/ - and http://www.skyeways.co.uk/, which is more about taxis and chauffeuring.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Broadford
Broadford
Isle of Skye, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
8. Re: First time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 20, 2014