We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Isle of Skye

London, England...
2 posts
Save Topic
London to Isle of Skye

I plan to travel from London to Edinburgh and then to Isle of Skye. Its a 3 day plan for Edinburgh & Isle of Skye.

I wish to visit Highlands, Loch Ness & any other place if anyone suggest I should go to in Edinburgh.

From there I want to go to Isle of Skye and camp there for 1 night.

Would 3 days & nights be good for this? From Isle of Skye I have to go to Manchester.

I want cheap travel options. Flights I checked are expensive.

Please suggest.

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Isle of Skye

No, you need double at least. 2 of the 3 days would be travelling.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Isle of Skye

it would take the best part of a day to travel from London to Skye, one day on Skye, and then a day to travel back, there is no time for anything else in this schedule, whether it is worth it for the cost you will have to decide. Personally, I would go for it, one day on Skye is very tempting!!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Isle of Skye

If you look up train times from London to Glasgow to Mallaig, you are going to spend one day travelling to get there, and on to Skye. The same in reverse to Manchester, leaving little time.

Have you looked at cheapo companies like Ryanair and Easyjet, or have you included FlyBe or even BA? It's just about feasible if you fly to Gasgow.

Your very cheapest way of getting there and back is by bus. 8 hours at least from London to Glasgow. There is a sleeper bus from London to Glasgow which is the only sensible way of saving a little time while keeping costs low.

Personally I think a bus trip to Skye and back to Manchester in three days will be exhausting and will leave you wondering whether it was worthwhile. If you can make this a longer trip it will be much more worthwhile.

Edinburgh, Loch Ness, Skye, cheap transport and all in three days? No way, Jose!

Camping on SKye is no problem - but you need to work out first what you want to see on SKye .... it's a big island with limited local transport.

London, England...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Isle of Skye

Thanks for the response guys. Really helpful. I am re-looking into the plan now.

I am now considering of driving from Edinburgh to Isle of Skye. I am not a frequent driver although so just wanted to know what kind of drive is it. Is it recommended for rookie?

Alternatively, please suggest on how apt is this:

- 26th reach Edinburgh at 7:30 (bus from London) - are there any chances of it being late?

- 26th Bus from Edinburgh to Inverness at 8:25 am - reach Inverness by 12PM.

- 26th Bus from Inverness at 1PM to Isle of Skye - reach there by 430PM. Rent a car/taxi/motorbike in Isle of Skye and see around (not sure yet what all places should I go for. please suggest)

- 27th eve - Leave Isle of Skye at 5PM - reach Inverness by 830PM.

- 28th - Places to see in Inverness (Please suggest)

- 28th Inverness to Edinburgh by bus (late bus around 7PM)

- 29th - Places to see in Edinburgh (Loch Ness, castle etc.)

- 29th - Leave for Manchester (bus at around 8PM).

This one looks neck to neck in terms of bus timings. Are the buses here punctual or they get delayed?

Kindly suggest. All your suggestions would really be helpful in planning my trip.

Thnx

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Isle of Skye

There's also the overnight (sleeper) train to Edinburgh from London, albeit more expensive.

scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

Saves you time just as the bus does, with some added comfort.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Isle of Skye

Hi. Your updated plan is indeed very very busy.

Buses tend to be fairly punctual, but no one can predict possible delays due to traffic jams or more rarely inclement weather. Overnight buses *tend* to run on time, because the motorways are less busy overnight.

A couple of points- you mention seeing Loch Ness from Edinburgh - please check the map, Loch Ness is nowhere near Edinburgh. My edinburgh must sees would include the castle and royal mile, Arthur's seat, Carlton hill, new town and grass market. But it depends on your interests. Without a car, there isn't that much to see in Inverness. Perhaps you could head to Edinburgh in the morning rather than the evening, and maximise your time in Edinburgh.

I have routinely used megabus to get around the UK and I find it comfy and excellent value for money. It tends to run to time, and is occasionally early!

Enjoy your trip.

Abs :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,617 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Isle of Skye

Which month is this?

I'd avoid the overnight bus if you possibly can. Take the sleeper train straight from London to Inverness. If you can't afford a berth there is a seated carriage which is still preferable to sitting up all night on a bus. You can then pick up a hire car in Inverness, drive to Skye and then on to Edinburgh where you can drop it off. Then you can get a direct train to Manchester - better than a bus, IMO.

8. Re: London to Isle of Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 24, 2014