We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with children in and around Staffin

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Things to do with children in and around Staffin

Hi

We are booked into an apartment in Staffin for Good Friday and Easter Saturday. Due to our friends needing to cancel, we are now taking my nephew and his two children aged 4 and 6. They are not great walkers and I am wondering if there are any attraction reasonably close by, that they might enjoy.

Also, is there any information we might find useful before we go?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with children in and around Staffin

With car or dependent on local transport? Skye isn't great for sandy beaches but it is good for rockpooling. Skye ain't no Blackpool, so you're not going to find 'Entertainments' of that sort ...

Nor do bars let youngsters in - Scotland is much tighter than England in that respect - though places serving food are OK, if more restaurant than bar.

All kids love dinosaurs.

skye.co.uk/outdoors-dinosaurs-fossils.php. You ARE in the right area for that (Staffin, Flodigarry)

The nearest obvious outdoors attraction is the Quiraing, which does involve walking (or you carrying them - maybe a big 6yo is a bit hefty?) but not steeply uphill, if you start from the lay-by at the top of the road from Staffin to Uig.

This site mentions a few places which might be if interest, unfortunately most are some distance from Staffin

welcometoscotland.com/things-to-do/…

You should also contact the Portree Tourist Office (not sure if it's open right now, hope they're picking up emails and calls nonetheless)

ukinformationcentre.com/western-isles/portre…

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with children in and around Staffin

Thanks for your suggestions Derek. I'm sure they will be up for a little walking...It's just that the younger one tires easily. I have looked at Portree quite a bit and simple things like picnics appeal if the weather holds up. Thanks again

Mrs Simm

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with children in and around Staffin

I think they'd enjoy a walk at this place

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/fairyglen.shtml

It's known as the 'Fairy Glen'. It's near Uig which is a nice drive from Staffin. Have a look at the Calmac ferry timetable.

www.calmac.co.uk

The ferries to the Western Isles arrive and leave from Uig pier. My kids used to love watching the big ferries coming in and leaving. You can look up on the timetable and time your Fairy Glen walk for around the same time

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with children in and around Staffin

Hunt the (real) dinosaur footprint on Staffin beach?

Portree, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do with children in and around Staffin

How about dinosaur hunting on Staffin beach - can you find the dinosaur footprints. There is the dinosaur museum at Staffin. Although doesnt officially open til Easter Monday, if you want me to open late Friday or Saturday leave me a message on here and a time to meet you, and if I am available will open it up. There is also the museum of Highland life at Kilmuir, Skye Serpentarium at Broadford (on your way to Staffin or as you go off the island), Seal boat trips from Dunvegan Castle, or sea Eagle boat trips from Portree. Hope that helps!

6. Re: Things to do with children in and around Staffin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 27, 2014