We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

Hello! I am going with my fiancé on a business trip to Dublin and London at the end of February beginning of March. We will be in Dublin for three nights and London for three nights. As a photographer I have been interested in seeing the Isle of Skye. We are considering trying to fit it in but not sure if its worth the travel for the limited time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We would head to Skye early Sunday morning and want to be in London by Tuesday evening. After a quick search I found that the only morning flights Sunday morning would be to Glascow not Inverness. So we could take a flight to Glascow arriving at 8am then drive to Skye. We would be open to taking a train then renting a car in or near Skye if that is an option. Are there car rentals once we get off the train?

We would have a full day Monday then have to leave Tuesday to head back. Is this worth it?

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

It's Glasgow by the way. No C

It depends.

We drive Glasgow to Skye in 5 hours. It's a big island so by the time you get to wherever you're going it could be getting dark, leaving you with only one day.

If that day has rain and low cloud you might not see anything worth taking a photo of. You might be really lucky though. Nobody knows.

cambs
Level Contributor
531 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

love Skye, we were there on honeymoon and if you are rarely in the uk then do consider going for it

however it is a long way from London and you will spend a lot of time travelling

could you spend more time in Ireland itself?

the coast of Donegal in the NW of Ireland is also fantstic - still a longish drive from Dublin but more practicanle than London-Skye

If you do go the beaches around Gweedore are where you want to head.....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

Thank you for your thoughts. I have come up with an alternate plan of travel but am still uncertain if we should take the opportunity to visit skye or spend time one day trip from London and one day trip from Dublin.

Here is an alternate schedule:

2/21 -LAX - Glasgow

2/22 -18:00 arrive Glasgow/ Night in Glasgow

2/23 - Train to Mallaig/Ferry to Skye arrive 16:30

2/24 - Day/night in Skye

2/25 - Day/night in Skye

2/26 - 9:30 Ferry/train to Glasgow

19:25 Flight to London/night in London

2/27 -Day/night in London

2/28 - Day night in London

3/1 - 7:00 flight to Dublin / Night in Dublin

3/2 - Day/ Night Dublin

3/3 - 12:00 Flight to Lax

Is this still too much to make all of the travel worth a trip to Skye? As a side note, we have travelled much of Europe but never within the UK. All thoughts are appreciated!

cambs
Level Contributor
531 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

looks good to me

not the best time of year to be visiting uk perhaps but im sure you will have a great time!

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

Don't know if this will help but you can now fly from Inverness to Amsterdam and it is being advertised here as the Schipol hub worldwide.......maybe its worth checking

then you could hire a car in Inverness and drive to Skye, return car to Inverness and fly to London

wenonah, new...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

We went there in October and it was the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

Not sure if you can rent a car in Mallaig, but you will need a car. If you're looking to take some pics, drive to Skye via the Kyle of Locklach - amazing scenery and take the Ferry Back.

Stay in a B&B in Portree. I would consider driving North on the A55 to stafford. You will pass the Storr on the left and a water fall a few miles north along the ocean. There is a road between stafford and Uig which is amazing. The drive around the top of Trotternish is beautiful as well, but the road across Trotternish is not be missed. Single track in places, but it will work out.

Back to Portree then North to Waternish and Dunvagan then south on the other side of Skye to the Ferry.

The roads on Skye are good, but the drive from Glasgow to Skye can be stressful driving on the left with the roads being quite narrow.

I think the sun rises at 9 and sets at 4, so keep that in mind.

7. Re: Isle of Skye in a day and a half????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 21, 2014