We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice, old ferry question/s

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
646 reviews
Save Topic
Some advice, old ferry question/s

Hi,

We only have 9 days on our return trip to Scotland, hoping to explore previously uncharted areas.

1. Picking up car @ 9am at Edinburgh airport, 22 October, 2011.

Drive to Tobermory. AA website, route planner (I know these things are always optimistic) suggests 5 + hours. I intend to book the 4pm ferry Oban - Craignure.

Appreciate the variables in terms of traffic/weather, but am I allowing ourselves a sufficent time-safety net? Are the roads reasonable. (being Australian the distance/time factor is not an issue)

2. After staying in Tobermory for a couple of days, intend to travel to Portree, Skye.

* I understand the advantages of Calmac Hopscotch Tickets and the site suggests, Tobermory - Kilchoan- Mallaig - Armadale, which would be our preferred option, however, safety- net time again. In respect ever changing weather etc, would it be a safer bet to return Craignure - Oban and travel via Glencoe etc?

Also in appreciation of the Calmac Winter Timetable, presently unavailable, would the return to Oban option be more practical (I understand that the ferries are not so regular in winter?)

I appreciate that these questions have probably already been canvassed, however, my searches, have not answered my questions.

Any and every advice appreciated, thanks!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some advice, old ferry question/s

If you are leaving Edinburgh airport at 9 you can be in Oban long before 1pm. (If you don't stop anywhere on the way) so ample time for the 4pm ferry.

Hopefully a more frequent traveller will advice about the next part of the journey.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some advice, old ferry question/s

1. Seems reasonable amount of time.

2. If the weather is bad, then the Craignure route may be more reliable. But I would still go for the shorter ferry, which you can't book. I would decide the day before.

See Glencoe on your return to Edinburgh, or if you have time on the way to Oban (which I think you will have).

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some advice, old ferry question/s

Edinburgh Airport to Oban should take about 3 hours (the AA time probably includes the ferry crossing plus wait for the ferry). You may want to stop on the way however.

An alternative to the Kilchoan ferry might be the ferry from Fishnish to Lochaline; the roads around Kilchoan and the west of the Ardnamurchan peninsula are mostly windy single track and progress can therefore be very slow. The road from Lochaline is also mostly single track but straighter so you can see farther ahead and achieve much higher average speeds.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some advice, old ferry question/s

As Gwestend and Peterscot say, you should easily be able to get to Oban for the 16.00 ferry.

The Tobermory - Kilchoan route is much more direct and convenient for you if heading from Mull to Mallaig. There are only about three services per day in the winter timetable period, as far as I can recall. The road through the Ardnamurchan Peninsula from Kilchoan to Mallaig is narrow and winding, but difficult driving conditions (such as snow or ice) are very unlikely in that part of Scotland in October. Wet and windy is much more likely, but that's no problem for driving, of course. If you go to the Calmac website you'll find that you can register for a service that alerts you by text if there are any disruptions - it's very useful.

5. Re: Some advice, old ferry question/s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, October 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull