We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Good evening guys,

I'm 35, male, independent traveller/backpacker and I love staying in hostels, etc.

I'm want to visit UK 1st week of June and am debating between the Isle of Mull or the Isle of Man. I know this is a weird question, and an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I chose these 2 places as I had visited Isle of Skye in 2005 and loved it. My plan is to get some good hiking (read day trips), as well as visiting (forgive the cliche) quaint little villages. I've visited the UK several times and I'd quote the Lake District and Whitby to be my most memorable holidays. In both places, I could go hiking all day, and return to a nice little cosy town for evening dinner and a stroll before going to bed.

I've been reading up on Isle of Mull on this forum and most people seem to island hop among Tobermany, Iona and Ulva which also sounds like an idea.

Plusses for Isle of Mull:

- very picturesque, great green and hilly hiking places

- Tobermany has a great looking harbour

Minusses for Isle of Mull:

- I'm not interested in bird spotting, beaches or whale/dophing spotting.

Now, with Isle of Man: so far to me it looks like another Brighton or Scarbourgh - colourful seaside resort but not up my street. And before anyone suggests Isle of Wight, I've visited it already!

What would you guys advise?

Last, I won't be driving. I hope to use public transport.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Vikram, I think you've answered your own question! The Isle of Man is 'not up your street'. There is loads of good hiking on Mull, and no-one will force you to do beaches or wildlife. Go for it!

Edited: 2:37 am, April 20, 2011
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Mull. Just go. You'll have a ball. As well as the stunning scenery and great walks, Tobermory can be a pretty lively place in the evening with a nightlife and a vibe that I'm sure a 35 year-old independent male will love.

Perfectly reachable by public transport, too.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

I'm not quite sure where you got the idea that the Isle of Man is "another Brighton or Scarbourgh - colourful seaside resort". That is doing it a grave injustice. If you liked Whitby you will lie the Isle of Man.

It has some super beaches but is definitely not the 'kiss me quick' type of place. If anything it is old fashioned and unspoilt. The vegetation is lush and green. There is some good walking but it isn't as hilly, rugged or tough as on Mull. The scenery is 'gentler'.

It has ruined castles, ancient remains, steam railway, electric tramway, tramway up Snaefell, horse trams, massive Victorian waterwheel, two breweries and a brew pub....

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

I also tend to go for the "wild" scenery (I had to choose this year between Oban/Mull and Fort William area). . Iona is very much worth a visit too. You're probably familiar with the wonderful www.walkhighlands.co.uk site--it includes several walks on Mull and Iona.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Of the two I would do Mull. As another thought what about the streach between Carlisle and Newcastle? Good walking next to the Wall and lots of villages. Another would be Orkney or even better South and North Uist.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
21 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Hi, just got back from Mull yesterday and loved it. We stayed at Craignure. I would recommend a trip to Iona. The wildlife is great but the landscape will provide great walks. Everyone we met was lovely and very welcoming The Inn at Craignure was great and so was The Coffee Pot at Salen. Loved it.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Thanks guys, you've been so helpful. I'm getting excited without even deciding where I want to go. LOL!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,596 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Mull, Mull, Mull - though I've never been to Man!

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00aa-3040-f52f

Woody x

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

I'm not religious at all, but Mull opens the chance to go to Iona- when you get there and realise this is where Christianity was founded, you think- 'Yes I can believe that'. There's a kind of ethereal calm...

If that resonates with you; it's not to be missed.

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you advise I visit the Isle of Mull?

Definitely go to Mull - it's a beautiful Island whatever the weather.. Have a great trip..

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull