We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Mull

San Francisco
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Mull

I will be visiting Mull at the end of May. Being that it is where my ancestors are from I really want to see as much as I can. There is one small problem, I won't have a car. How hard is it to get around the island without one?

ayrshire
Level Contributor
292 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Mull

hi arpeggio, have only been to mull once, and I loved the place, hoping to go back some time soon. We had our car with us, but on reading your forum, did a bit of research and the best thing I can do is to point you in direction of www.isle.of.mull.com

There are many routes on this, follow links for information and travel, but can't imagine public transport would be too frequent, am sure you can find info on this site and some contact addresses. Remember also, that you must visit IONA whilst there, and also burial place of Lachland McQuarrie, very well known in Australia as Governor McQuarrie. A bit of advice also, there is a VERY popular childrens programme over here called Balamory, set in Tobermoray, so just watch out for info on that, and make sure your not booked on any pre-five excursions!!! Though this may also help you, as I think much more transport laid on for the large amount of families who visit for this programme. Also, beautiful sail over from Oban, especially when the sun is setting. Gorgeous. Hope you can get info from someone with more knowledge. Good luck.

ayrshire
Level Contributor
292 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Mull

hi again arpeggio, also try www.mullionataxi.co.uk, this site looks to be really good!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Mull

You will be able to travel from Craignure to Tobermory and Fionphort by bus and I think they are pretty well timed to meet the ferries as they come in.

The only section of road on Mull which is not single track is between Tobermory and Craignure. This means travelling round the island by car can be very slow! If hiring a car to drive yourself is not an option, then you should look at taking a taxi to some of the places where a bus can't get to. Calgary Bay is stunning and worth the effort to get there.

If you do go to Iona then you can get around the island very easily on foot. You wouldn't be allowed to take a vehicle over there anyway.

Tobermory, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Mull

Hi Arpeggio,

A comprehensive island timetable can be found at argyll-bute.gov.uk/pdffilesstore/…

These timetables also include timetables between Oban and major Scottish cities.

I note that you are researching your ancestors. In this respect I trust you have checked out www.mullgenealogy.co.uk If you need help here please contact me at info@mullgenealogy.co.uk

Ian

5. Re: Getting around Mull

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull