We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel Using Public Transport in July Isle of Lewis

Boston...
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Travel Using Public Transport in July Isle of Lewis

I need some advice/travel help!

Some background - I'll be studying abroad in London this summer, and we'll be spending five days in Edinburgh. Then we have a five day break on our own - I was planning on visiting the Outer Hebrides, looking forward to having a peaceful break amidst an intense course. However, I'm now seeing that the break falls right when the HebCelt festival starts! I had initially been planning on staying in a hostel, mainly using public transport but possibly renting a car just for a day or two, depending on nice weather to go beach hopping on Harris. Right now though the hostels are all full and it seems I would have to pre-book a rental car if I wanted to get an automatic (never driven a standard!)

I have found the bus timetables and have read every thread on this forum about public transport, so it does seem doable. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay near a bus stop? Or is there a bus map to look at so I can compare the location of B&Bs to a bus stop?

Or would it maybe be better to skip Lewis on this trip and perhaps stay in Skye? I absolutely have fallen in love with what I imagine Harris and Lewis to be, and really do want to visit, if only I was coming a week before or after!

scotland
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Travel Using Public Transport in July Isle of Lewis

The Heb Celt Fest has booked up most of the accomodation on Lewis. Maybe change to Harris..Leverburgh has a Hostel BUT in all honesty I feel you would need a car

scotland
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Travel Using Public Transport in July Isle of Lewis

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g316008-d5492… Have a look at this in Harris. Most accomodation in Lewis is booked up by festival users. The public transport from Harris is basically the Stornoway bus. Maybe be better hiring a car

Boston...
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Travel Using Public Transport in July Isle of Lewis

Thank you HebLady - I've just sent them an email, hoping it will be open!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Travel Using Public Transport in July Isle of Lewis

The HebCelt festival is worth catching. Busy but not too big. See if you can stay somewhere that would allow you to take in some of it - perhaps in the daytime.

The whole atmosphere in the place is quite special at this time, albeit not quite what you expected.

5. Re: Solo Travel Using Public Transport in July Isle of Lewis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, June 19, 2014