We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving large vehicle on isles of lewis and harris

Columbia...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
driving large vehicle on isles of lewis and harris

There are 6 of us coming in the fall. We are trying to decide whether to rent a mini-van and drive ourselves or to hire a guide/driver. We drove in separate cars in ireland and wales and some of the roads were quite narrow for us to manouver a larger vehicle through. We prefer to travel together in one vehicle since cell phone reception may not be good in these areas. What are the roads like on lewis and harris between the tourist attractions? Is traffic quite heavy?

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving large vehicle on isles of lewis and harris

Hi. Traffic could not be described as heavy! Between the towns and villages the roads will be plenty wide enough - trucks travel them all the time. I travelled in a 25 ft RV through Lewis and Haris - and never felt the roads were too narrow.

So I would say - don't worry! As long as you are sensible and take time to adjust to the vehicle, you will be fine.

Abs :)

Columbia...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving large vehicle on isles of lewis and harris

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will never forget driving to betys-y-coed through narrow lanes with stone fences on either side. Very little traffic, but I just stopped in the middle of the road when we did meet someone! LOL

London
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving large vehicle on isles of lewis and harris

There's a useful guide here - how to deal with single track roads

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/single…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving large vehicle on isles of lewis and harris

Traffic is very light. Once you are off the main roads many roads are single track. When driving on these, you do need to be confident about reversing, as when you meet another vehicle one of you has to reverse to the nearest passing place.

Columbia...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving large vehicle on isles of lewis and harris

Thanks, RCS[eors amd Dhmellor. Both the site and the warning about reversing are good to have. The more I look at the Isle of Lewis, the more time I want to spend there.

Unfortunately, the lane in Wales I referred to was not a single track, just a very narrow lane designed for dual traffic.

6. Re: driving large vehicle on isles of lewis and harris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 16, 2013