We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Islay

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting around Islay

Greetings,

I'm traveling to Islay in about a week. I plan to arrive 11 June. I will be coming from Newcastle and am trying to determine the best route and ways to get around the island once I am there. I'm in the UK on business and will basically have the weekend for Islay as I need to be back in Newcastle on Monday morning. Some questions I have:

What's the best way to get to Islay to maximize time? I was thinking flying from Glasgow.

Whats the best way to get off Islay on Sunday? It doesn't look like flights run on Sunday.

How much time does it take to get around the Island? To be clear I am going for the whisky. Islay whisky is my favorite of all time. I want to see Ardbeg but would also like to see the new distillery Kilchoman and anything else I have time for.

Should I hire a car on the island?

Can I get around by bus or public transport?

Are there taxi services?

What about hotels/bed and breakfasts?

Thanks for you help. And I will gladly accept any suggestions.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,955 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Islay

http://www.islayjura.com/

That looks like a useful site for getting about the island. Hiring a car or using taxis is a personal preference. Depends how much you want to see / drink....

If you don't fly back, then you are going to have to take a ferry, then bus to Glasgow, and then train to Newcastle, or hire a car. Either slow or expensive.

for general public transport -

www.travelinescotland.com

There are loads* of hotels and B&Bs . I stayed at the Port Charlotte hotel - very comfortable and huge selection of whiskies. Glorious views and food.

(* - but many booked up well in advance!! You are leaving it very late.)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Islay

If there are no flights then the only way you'll get off the island on Sunday is by ferry - three of them.

calmac.co.uk/Islands%20&%20Routes/calmac-rou…

I don't think this is a runner Come back and spend a week on Islay. Until then find a pub with a good selection of malts

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Islay

Thanks for the response. I wish I had more time on Islay, but sadly I don't. I'm also not sure when I'll be back in the UK, so I have to make the most of this opportunity.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,955 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Islay

Easiest thing to do is rent a car from Newcastle for 3 - 4 days.

www.viamichelin.com.

Its a fairly straightforward and scenic route to the ferry port, but not fast. Allow 3 hours from Glasgow.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Islay

There is a flight from Islay to Glasgow on a Sunday evening, but at this late stage it may be fully booked. Phone flybe asap to check.

If so, peterscot's advice is the only realistic way to do it: drive all the way yourself. But you need to leave Newcastle on Friday morning to catch the 18.00 ferry to Islay on Friday evening - if you can''t get away that early, then I don't think it's worth it, especially as I suspect there are no distillery visits on Sundays

6. Re: Getting around Islay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:02 am, November 30, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Islay