We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying overnight before the ferry

Modiin, Israel
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Staying overnight before the ferry

Hello.

I'm planning a trip to Islay with my girlfriend this October, and the plan is to drive from Edinburgh to Islay in a car.

I booked a CalMac ferry ride in the morning from Kennacraig, I was wondering if someone could recommend a cheap but nice place to spend the night before?

I was thinking West Loch Hotel in Tarbet (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g616278-d324319…)

Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying overnight before the ferry

We usually just stay in one the the B&Bs in Tarbert -there are several listed here on TA. They are all quite similar and OK for an overnight.

I believe the West Loch is OK too, but obviously it will be a bit more expensive than a B&B. It is also on its own a couple of miles outside Tarbert, so if you want a drink or two with your dinner you have to eat there, whereas the B&Bs are all a short walk from the centre of the village, where there's a good choice of places to eat. I recommend the Anchor (for food, not overnight stay).

sw scotland
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying overnight before the ferry

This link should give you enough b and bs in the area to choose from.

ttp://www.tarbertlochfyne.com/accommodation.php

Bluebell Cottage and Rhu House are closest to Kennacraig, if you are going for the early morning ferry.

If you are on that boat, let them know when you book, they may give you a discount in place of a missed breakfast - and then you can have a calmac special when you board!

Enjoy your trip, Islay is a wonderful island.

Modiin, Israel
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying overnight before the ferry

Thank you both very much for the suggestions!

4. Re: Staying overnight before the ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, February 09, 2010