We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire on Islay

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Attire on Islay

i'm making my first pilgrimage to Islay next weekend; three day tour of all the distilleries. can't wait! i'm just wondering what clothing to pack. i'm guessing in the Hebrides, one should have a light windbreaker/rain slick on hand at all times.

but how cool does it get at night in mid-June? should i have long-sleeved t's for warmth, or will jeans, t-shirt and light wind/rain jacket be sufficient?

thanks for any feedback,

.rich

england
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire on Islay

hi

in the highlands and isles its best to take a rain jacket and long sleeved t-shirts as it can get cold at night in june also the weather is very unpredictable up there . dont compare english weather with scotlands, there can be big differences.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire on Islay

"no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing..."

Rain gear essential. A light fleece might be handy.

Jeans/t-shirts would rarely be enough, although you might be lucky.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire on Islay

Peter's right - take a fleecy top or similar for the evenings. It's quite cold here at the moment.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attire on Islay

Buy Midge repellent! These pesky insects get everywhere in Scotland at this time of year!

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attire on Islay

thanks, everyone! great advice/suggestions all... :)

.rich

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Attire on Islay

I don't get it. Going to Islay just to visit distilleries? However, it is your trip. Clothes...Collared shirt, sweater, pressed pants leather shoes and a warm jacket is what I would wear., but I am an old guy.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attire on Islay

well, i didn't say it was *just* to visit the distilleries, but i am a single malt scotch whisky enthusiast and collector, and you are correct that i did emphasize that as a major component of the visit. ;)

regardless, your point is well taken, and i have certainly been looking into ways to fully enjoy the island, its history and its people more fully, outside of the whisky during my three days there, and will continue to do so before i leave.

i would welcome your suggestions re. other things to look into, and yes, i have also read the "other things to do on Islay" posts on this discussion board.

thanks,

.rich

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,374 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Attire on Islay

Nothing wrong with visiting Islay JUST for the distilleries,we each have our own ideas of what we want from a holiday and for me visiting just distilleries is fine.Hey I am just back from Prague just to visit the Beer Festival.Ok I did visit a few other places including 3 breweries just to get a break from all that beer.

Oh and my summer holiday this year,visiting distilleries,may take in some countryside too.

On Islay if you get nice weather take a walk out to the Kildolton Cross.

www.islayinfo.com/islay_kildalton_cross.html

we walked there on Sunday morning in May a few years back (walked from Lagavulin cottage)It was wonderful even though it came on heavy rain,seeing a big red Deer Stag on the road in front of us standing there staring at us for several minutes was a real highlight.

Don't miss the Round Church in Bowmore.

hope yopu have a great time on Islay.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,374 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Attire on Islay

Sorry meant to answer your question,take waterproofs and at least one layer of good warm clothing ,you will most likely need it,good sturdy shoes or walking boots could be handy too.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attire on Islay

dodger- there you go again: criticising someone's trip, without offering any ideas of your own.

If you've been to Islay, please do suggest some other attractions. It is not just the poster who reads the answers, so you may be helping someone who reads the posts but has no interest in the distilleries.

Get answers to your questions about Islay