We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do besides whiskey tastings?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
what to do besides whiskey tastings?

My husband and I will be in Islay this summer with some friends. I am the only non-whiskey drinker in the group (can't stand the stuff -- even the smell) and wonder if I'll have anything to do while everyone else is visiting the distilleries? Perhaps I can just be the designated driver ...

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

Whilst I can't give you any specific answers to your question; I will say this:

As you addressed distilleries in Scotland, they make whisky- no e- AND (I'd assume) you'll get a response from whisky expert, unclegus...at least, regarding your aversion to "the stuff"!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

Not only can I not drink it or smell it, I can't even spell it ... Ha!

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

I found this website which will give you an idea of things to do other than visit distilleries on Islay. I am sure you'll find something which appeals......

http://www.visit-islay.com/thingstd.html

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,372 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

you can get treatment for your adversion to whisky.

I visited islay a few years ago and of course ,ost of my time was spent visiting whsiky distilleries,but whilst the others are actually doing tours you could spend time walking round the lovely building and beaches.

The Kildalton cross is worth making an effort to visit ,a few miles past the Ardbeg distillery it is said to be the largest Celtic cross still standing in the country,the Round church in Bowmore is an unusual and very nice place to visit.the rugged scenery of the Island is what you will really enjoy and the chance to see Red Deer and other animals is always a joy.Some of the distilleries have nice tearooms ,Ardbeg is very good and local crafts are also sold there.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

Islay is known for its rugged scenery - its a mixture of farms and windswept moors.

It has a challenging golf course - there is fauna in abundance (BBC cameras spent a week there broadcasting live last year); a very large memorial to US servicemen.....

I was there for a week a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the distilleries.... but it is also handy for island-hopping - Jura is less than a mile away (although I never managed to get there because of some unseasonal storms); and Colonsay is worth a visit ( you can carry on to Oban and not cover the same ground/sea).

The point about much of Scotland is that THERE ISNT MUCH TO DO! You relax, chill, slow down and observe the local life. If you look, you'll find artisans and craftsmen and women all over, who find the relaxed pace of life conducive to creativity.

If you want white-water rafting and abseiling etc, there are many places in Scotland to do these.

Don't feel you have to DO something, everywhere....

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

oops - "islay is NOT known for its rugged scenery", it should read.

Try walking on a beach, throwing stones in the loch, talking to a crofter....lots to do....

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

We just went to Islay last month, and I'm not a big whisky fan (not to mention, I'm pregnant, so even if I liked it, I couldn't drink it!).

I still had a really good time. I enjoyed going for walks -- the scenery is very pretty -- and there are some pretty neat places to explore. We missed Kildalton Cross, but I did really like checking out the ruins at Finlaggan (by Port Askaig) and Dunyvaig (by Lagavulin). Also, check out some of the shops and restaurants, particularly in Bowmore.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

As an Islay regular I go along with much of the above - especially Peterscot's point about it being a good place to slow down and chill!

A day trip to Jura is a must - visit the lovely gardens at Jura House while you are there. Also Colonsay - NB day trips to Colonsay possible only on Wednesdays.

9. Re: what to do besides whiskey tastings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, September 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Islay