We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to Islay?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to Islay?

Figuring out the quickest way by ferry to Islay is baffling me. From Glasgow, is the best way really to go from Kennacraig to Port Askig? I think we will be relying on public transportation. Anyone gone Arran past Kintyre to Islay?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to Islay?

You can fly from Glasgow to Islay.

Otherwise there is a good bus service from Glasgow to Kennacraig then ferry to Port Ascaig or Port Ellen.

It is quite scenic route on the bus up Loch Lomond and a short stop at Inveraray.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to Islay?

The Arran route would be a lot slower. If you are in no hurry, it could make a scenic loop around the region. (Train to Ardrossan, ferry, bus to Lochranza, ferry, then I presume bus to Tarbert/ Kennacraig).

Check www.calmac.co.uk for routes, fares (eg "island-hopping"), etc.

You can also get a ferry from Oban (reached by train or bus from Glasgow). Quite a long route by ferry and not frequent (via Colonsay), but the islands are not really places to rush....Very scenic. Plus there's the whisky. More distilleries on Islay than is really fair.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to Islay?

It's a short flight from GLA, or it's the Citylink coach to Kennacraig which connects with the ferries to Port Ellen or Port Askaig on Islay.

The ferries from Oban to Islay only run on Wednesdays, and then only in the summer.

Going via Arran is slow and more expensive, and the service from Lochranza (on Arran) to Claonaig (on the Kintyre penninsula) only runs in the summer.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
234 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to Islay?

Flights to Islay tend to be very expensive.

As the other posters have suggested, a better route is to go by car / bus to Kennacraig then ferry to Port Askaig / Port Ellen. The journey from Glasgow is pretty scenic anyway.

I made this journey last week and it was about two hours to Kennacraig (or just over that if you stop for a snack in Inverary!) then two hours on the ferry.

L

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to Islay?

I'm just starting my research to figure out the best way to Islay too. A quick scan of the British Airways site shows that a return ticket inclusive of fees and other nonsense is 72 GBP. Doesn't seem prohibitively expensive to me.

Flight time seems to be 45 minutes.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to Islay?

Winnipeg Dave - you also have to add on the transport cost and hassle on Islay if you fly - taxis, hire car, bus etc.

It's quite a large island and presumably you'll want to get around it.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to Islay?

There are reasonably good bus services on Islay, although they don't run in the evenings.

linlithgow scotland
Level Contributor
980 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to Islay?

B.A. Announced yesterday fares to Islay now from 25 pounds each way!

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to Islay?

Budgeting for a trip to Mull and Islay next February. Would you know the ferry prices for a car and 2 people to Islay?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to Islay?

The calmac.co.uk site gives all the prices and timetables. The prices might change by February, but not by that much. Note the current timetable will be for the summer.