We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

Which Prestwick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but myself and a group of other travellers had a terrible experience with Prestwick airport and I felt it was prudent to share it with others so that nobody else finds themselves in a similar situation.

I flew into Prestwick airport last week, my flight arrived at about 11pm. I had researched travel into Glasgow city centre, and discovered that there was a bus every hour. When I eventually found the bus stop (in the pouring rain) a very dodgy coach driver informed me that he could take myself and some other travellers who were with me to Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station for £15 each. I disputed this as I had discovered online that the bus should not cost this much one way. He claimed he was the 'only' bus driver at that time of night, and when we refused to go on the bus he drove off. We were then approached by taxi drivers who claimed they could take us to anywhere in the city centre for the same price as the bus. We hung around in the hope that the supposed 'once per hour' bus would materialise, but it never showed up and eventually we had to just relent and get the taxi (one staff member tried to phone a cab company for us, only to be told that it would be at least £80 into the city centre between the 6 of us).

I had to fly back a few days later at 6am, and checked online to discover that there was a bus service every hour from Buchanan. I showed up at 3:30am, but at the bus station the Prestwick bus stop stated that the bus to the airport only ran from 6am until 10pm - even though the Prestwick airport site advertised an early morning bus service from Buchanan. Nobody at the station had any clue about the bus service, and I ended up having to get a taxi for £60 to the airport.

I was absolutely disgusted that Prestwick airport advertises a bus that seemingly does not exist - both from the airport every hour and to the airport every hour (24 hours a day), and does not advertise the price of taxis, so that at least you know what to expect.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone know where this seemingly imaginary once an hour, 24/7 bus leaves from within Glasgow City Centre and at Prestwick airport? I would hate to think that tourists whose native language is not English would get absolutely trapped at Prestwick and charged an extortionate amount to travel to the city centre.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

Sorry to hear of your experience.

What do you mean by "a very dodgy coach driver"?

Was this coach showing that it was the (allegedly) scheduled X99/X100 service to Edinburgh via Buchanan Street?

The operating company seems to be Dodds of Troon, was the bus in that company's livery?

For the bus on your way to the airport, at Buchanan Street were you looking at the timetable at stance 1 (for X99) or stance 4 (for the X77)?

Did you hang around to wait to see if the X99 turned up at 4.15am?

spt.co.uk/bus/…

Edited: 8:55 am, March 10, 2014
Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

Hi there,

There was no number on the front of the bus, no company name (I knew that Dodds operated a coach, ithis coach definitely wasn't theirs). The reason I found them dodgy was because of the lack of number/coach operator, the fact that I didn't believe it should cost £15 one way, and because the driver told myself and the other travellers standing with me that the bus services we had found on the Prestwick airport website "no longer operated", not even once an hour, and that he was "the only bus service that would be running all night.".

When I was coming back, I checked all of the stances in Buchanan station just to be sure I was at the right one, and the only stance that had a Prestwick airport sign/timetable on it was Stance 1. There was nothing on Stance 4 to indicate Prestwick, and I even checked with a driver to Glasgow airport, who said he was aware there were only buses from Stance 1 later in the morning. I was worried incase the supposed express service didn't show up, particularly as there was no indication which stance it was due to leave from, which is why I ended up getting a taxi.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

I would then contact Dodds of Troon and Prestwick airport via their respective websites (assuming you've not done so already) giving them details of what happened and report back what they say.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,623 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

Which day of the week was this? The last bus Monday to Thursday PIK to Glasgow is at 2240. On Friday and Saturday yes there should be a later service.

X77 From Airport

The service operates

0615 - 2240 Monday - Thursday (every 30 mins until 1840 then hourly)

0615 - 0240 Friday (every 30 mins until 1840 then hourly)

0625 - 0240 Saturday (every 30 mins until 1840 then hourly)

0755 - 2055 Sunday (Hourly)

There is an X99 service leaving 23:59 but at no point in the week is there a 24 hour service to PIK. Would not be much point if there were no passengers to pick up.

glasgowprestwick.com/to-and-from-prestwick/b…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,623 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

The x99 service is indeed a Dodds of Troon coach leaving Stance 1 at Buchanan St Bus station 04:30. Did you book in advance as advised on the website? Again it is not hourly, only once per day.

Most people will take the train during the day as you can get half price tickets to PIK.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

The buses don't run 24 hours a day as far as I'm aware. They run half hourly through the day, and later in the evening they run hourly, but only up until a certain time (a bit later on fridays and saturdays). There is a bus that 'meets' the late flight but that usually needs to be booked.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,998 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

If the Op didn't arrive on a Friday or Saturdya, then it sounds as though the bus and taxi drivers were right.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

The X99 is a scheduled service (listed in traveline Scotland) that is supposed to operate daily from (dep 2359) and to (arr 0515) Prestwick Airport operated by Dodds of Troon. There is no requirement to book a seat on this bus although it is recommended, I guess to ensure you get a seat if it is busy. Therefore I can see no legitimate reason for this bus not running on the day the OP and fellow passengers required it.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

If the OP gets an unsatisfactory response from the company they can raise a complaint via the bus users group using the URL below

bususers.org/complaints/make-a-complaint

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prestwick Airport - complaint & warning to other travellers

Just to reiterate that there has never been a 24/7 service from Prestwick Airport. Where did you see this advertised OP?