We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prestwick historical society

new york
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prestwick historical society

I lived in prestwick in 1947, where my father was an american working for a US airlines, possibly Capitol Airways. Does anyone know if there are local historical societies, archives, airport museums which might have materials from world war 2 or the post-war period. He was also stationed there in 43-44 before the invasion.

We are visiting there in early August, if there is a history to be found. Thanks for any leads.

John F Crow

NEw York, ny

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prestwick historical society

Give the lovely folk at Carnegie Library Local History Department a shout. They are a passionate bunch and always keen to help. Email details etc via the link: south-ayrshire.gov.uk/libraries/local-histor…

Carnegie Library has just recently been listed on Tripadvisor for reviews: tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186574-…

I'm sure there are other useful sources of information too. Carnegie staff are just the people to set you in the right direction. Hope that helps. Good luck!

new york
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Prestwick historical society

thank you re carnegie library. i had already posted a query to them, after learning about their services on trip advisor. jfc

Maybole, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prestwick historical society

For general aviation at Prestwick, this is a very important year.Unfortunately could you change your holiday to a wee bit later..... :-,) Of course I don't know how much it will cover the period you are interested in.

http://www.worldfestivalofflight.com/

https:/…PrestwickWorldFestivalofFlight

"Welcome to the inaugural Prestwick World Festival of Flight, ten days celebrating the adventure of aviation in films, books, plays, fashion, new music, exhibitions, debates and air displays, from 30 August to 8 September."

south-ayrshire.gov.uk/events/…

south-ayrshire.gov.uk/documents/rozellehouse…

"2013 marks important local anniversaries in the history of Scottish Aviation. It is 100 years [...] To celebrate Scottish/Ayrshire aviation history, two exhibition projects are based on the paintings and designs of artists with a connection and passion for aviation."

Boyd, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Prestwick historical society

i was in preswick airport in late 1947 or early 1948, I was on my way to Germany, I was in a B29 we had engine falure,and had to wait for an engine, about 5 days. We first stoped in Iceland we bend a propaler tgetting out of a snow bank, we also waited for a prop to come to us, I am trying to get my records. up to date as the airforce told me I didn't go Germany, I don't have orders as a 17 year kid I didn't worry about things like orders. I have a photo of a B29 in Germany with the number of 4086 painted on the nose wheel cover.

I don't know if you keep reocards that would help me I want to thank you for your help, I will live without this information, but I would get my oversea record right. Thank you for your help.

Vivian W. Alston

324 CR 4765

Boyd, TZ, 76023-5278

e-mail valston141@yahoo.com

Edited: 4:23 pm, September 10, 2013
Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prestwick historical society

Vivian A - I would recommend that you remove your personal details to avoid spam. This is a travel advice forum so you need to contact someone directly about the information you require as I don't know who the "you" is that you are referring to.

6. Re: Prestwick historical society

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 13, 2014