We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to prestwick

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
moving to prestwick

hi there!,

my boyfriend (from aberdeen) and I need to move to Prestwick (Airport Job), and we dont know the area,it doesnt have to be in preswtick, we were looking for places near like troon or ayr, we need to be withing 45 min from airport...

we'd apriciate any advise on places to live in nice areas arround here.

thanks a lot

Esti.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to prestwick

In general the area around Prestwick is very good, particularly the coastal towns. I like Troon personally but think the prices can be a little high. It also has a great fish and chip shop called the "wee Hurrie". The larger towns in the area like Ayr and Kilmarnock have areas that are a little rough around the edges, as does any town. I personally wouldn't move to any of the towns a little further north such as Irvine, Saltcoats, Ardrossan or Kilwinning. They lack a certain charm that those further south still have.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to prestwick

oh thank you very much

yes, we want something not in the center of a "big town" but nt so far neither, somewhere you can get things last minute, or just have some fun...

we saw this flat next to the river, the flat look alright next to a paking thing... but we may keep looking for something near troon and south of ayr

Ta!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to prestwick

Hi Esti,

The towns of Troon, Ayr, Prestwick and some of the surrounding villages all have their charm. Prestwick is a fairly small town with a good mixture of housing including flats, plus the option of being near a beach (which you can also do in Troon and Ayr of course).

All three towns have a some decent pubs and restaurants, though for shops I would put Ayr at the top of the pile, with Prestwick coming second. They are all an easy commute to the airport by train or bus. Each place has some areas that are nicer than others, like most towns. If you have somewhere specific in mind already you can check here what people think of your choices.

If you are heading our way for a look around, let us know and we can point you to suitable hotel accommodation to suite your tastes.

cheers

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to prestwick

hello,

thanks for your help, and here is more info:

this is going to be a long stay so is cheeper and we want to rent a place.we have a car but still we want somewhere with good transport service ( i mean, train or bus to city center and/or further) so, we were looking places in troon, doonfoot, maybole, dalrymple, drogan, coylton, mossblown, and i cant think of anymore right now (any other place will be welcome for our options list). all we want is to be near of basic stores such a fuel station, supermarket, etc. but not in the middle of them (if you know what I mean).

thanks a lot

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to prestwick

i think the hardest bit is not going to be finding a nice place, but actually find a furnished flat/house for rent in south ayrshire... :(

any advise for renting a place is more that welcome aswell.

cheers

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to prestwick

I would say none of those places you mention is offensive, though places like Drongan, Mossblown, Dalrymple and Maybole would not be at the top of my list - partly because they are not particularly handy for catching the train to Glasgow for a day or night out, and perhaps a few other reasons, but thats just me. Those places listed will however probably be a bit cheaper, and an fairly easy commute.

There are quite a few rental companies out there, Keylets in Ayr being one of them - its online too. I'll have a look at the local newspaper and see if I can come up with a few more suggestions, but www.yell.com will probably help you find a decent list of property management companies.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to prestwick

wow! im really greatfull

im not exactly in a hurry, but of course, if we want the place for june we have to start looking and comparing things from now so we dont decide the first thing we see because we dont have time...

i really apreciate your help.

we have in mind a places near this streets:

Ronaldshaw Park, Ayr, KA7

Dundonald Crescent, KA11, Troon, South Ayrshire

Shawfarm Gardens,

AYR ROAD, SOUTH AYRSHIRE

Greenan Grove, Doonfoot, Ayr, KA7

Garden Court, Ayr, KA8

and more questions:

what does "let agreed" mean?

"No DSS" ?

"Tax Band C" ?

this is what happens when you are not from the uk and you need to move in...hehe sorry!and thanks!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to prestwick

I think the garden court flat is just north of the river and perhaps not the best location unless you love TK Maxx.

Doonfoot is a lovely spot and one I would definitely consider and I think Ronaldshaw gardens is pleasant too, but I'm not that familiar with it.

Don't panic about getting a furnished place. As a last resort you could always get some basics from ikea in glasgow delivered to keep you going.

Tax banding will indicate how much community tax you will have to pay. Check out south ayrshire councils website for the current rates.

You will need to ask about travel related stuff to keep the thread open, but i am sure you will want to know where to visit and where to stay while you move;-)

Here are some more rental agencies:

key-lets.co.uk

www.ckdgalbraith.co.uk

www.lettingweb.com

www.martinco.com

The shawfarm place is probably the newish flats adjacent to the airport. Good position for work and walking into town!

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: moving to prestwick

ah! you see, garden court was our option, and i say WAS.... a couple of agencies we did look at, at the end of the day the roperties are the samme and vary for 1 or 2... nice to compare aswell..

will have a look to the tax matter later on.

now, we have more places, could you help us please?

WARDLAW CRESCENT, LOANS, SOUTH AYRSHIRE

9E Millbrae Court, Ayr

Elba Street, Ayr

the one in doonfoot (our option) has a problem and is that we cant see the house inside in the pics.. so might be tiny :S! anyway, no hurries...

i have a feeling we are going to end up right next to the airport... 8-)

btw,

anyone knows pilots that are based in prestwick? preferably from ryr..?

cheers

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: moving to prestwick

Esti, forgot to answer the no DSS question - it meant they won't take people who are unemployed and relying on unemployment benefit to pay the rent.

Don't want to put you off garden court if you like the look inside the flat, but it is in quite a noisy part of town right alongside a major traffic junction and a busy police station. The name suggests something green and pleasant, but it is actually a very urban position, which is fine if that is what you are looking for.

I don't imagine the Doonfoot property would be any smaller than a flat, but its worth talking it through with the agent to get a better idea. Doonfoot is a very nice, generally upmarket community near the beach and has a pleasant local pub in walking distance and also a handy convenience store. Stunning sunsets!

Elba Street is in an area popular with students from the West of Scotland University - its handy for the shops.

The flats at Millbrae court are fairly new and quite attractive, just a short walk from the town and railway station and by the river.

Hope that helps. As the bank holiday weekend has ended hopefully you'll get some more opinions today.