We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26737440

ScotRail has announced plans to launch a new direct "coast-to-coast" train service between Ayr and Edinburgh.

The move involves extending current services that operate between Edinburgh and Glasgow Central via Carstairs.

The service will be part of ScotRail's new summer timetable, which will see additional services to and from Ayr.

From 19 May, four services every hour will connect Glasgow Central to Ayr from Monday to Friday - up from the current three.

The fourth train currently stops at Irvine but will now continue on to Ayr.

Steve Montgomery, managing director of ScotRail, said: "This new Edinburgh-Ayr service is likely to appeal to leisure passengers, particularly during the summer months, where the train journey is part and parcel of the day out."

Transport Minister Keith Brown said the new coast-to-coast service would result in "great benefits" for the tourism industry both in the east and the west of the country.

He added: "ScotRail passenger numbers, in line with Scottish government investment in our railways, have now reached record highs and these additional services will offer even more people extra opportunities to enjoy travelling by train."

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

Maybe its me, but this isn't the clearest article. Anyone got more detail they could share on this proposed route?

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

As far as I am aware it's the current edinburgh to Glasgow central train (goes through carstairs, Motherwell, kirknewton, westernhaile -all the touristy stops in central belt!) that when it stops in central it will head on down to Ayr! Also it's only going to run 4 times a day (probably 2 in morning & 2 in evening).

To be fair I think its all a bit of creative PR. If you were heading to Edinburgh from Ayr (which my other half does regularly for work) you probably wouldn't want to go this 'new' route as it would be quicker walking from central 2 queen st & Edinburgh train that way. Also dare I say it I think the via Linlithgow route is the more scenic route!

The only positive would be that during the commonwealth games it would be a good route of avoiding glasgow!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

Thanks! If they allow passengers to buy offpeak advance cheap tickets or open returns then I might give it a go. Currently it costs a fortune to go from Ayr to Edinburgh (via glasgow) by train for a long weekend stay.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

I take it that it stops at PIK?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

OK I checked the timetable for May. Seems to take 2h19, 15 minutes of which is at Glasgow Central. I guess that's because the driver has to change ends there as there's no through route. That's about 20 minutes more than via Queens St but you won't have to walk or get the bus between. More convenient if you have luggage.

One train per hour, £17.50 one way which I guess will be half price if you are flying to/from the airport.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

I'm pretty sure it will stop at PIK as essentially it's a glasgow to ayr (or vice versa) train. If u loads of luggage it probably be worth the extra 20min and not so nice route than changing station. If u can time it right from PIK it would be worth it but to be honest the walk between central & queen street I have always quite liked! My other half can do the walk between both in 9 mins (he did it in 6 but it nearly killed him!).

I would say that the best bit about this 'new' edinburgh to ayr route is that it will probably lead to a better service further down the line.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

It is being promoted as a "leisure" route rather than for commuters. I'm def going to give it a go over the Summer months.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

>>OK I checked the timetable for May.<<

Do you have a link for the timetable, I can't find anything past May 17.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

Fifer if you go to the scotrail website journey planner and feed in Ayr to Edinburgh, do a dummy booking and look for the times where there are no changes, obviously:)

You can get past May17th though I'm not sure how far.

scotrail.co.uk/buy-tickets#book-tickets-open

Edited: 11:14 am, March 29, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Scotrail direct train Edinburgh to Ayr from May 2014

Just used the nationalrail.co.uk website.

Get answers to your questions about Ayr