We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

As it says in the title really - it would save me quite a bit of money if we could get away with just hand luggage but am I being optimistic for Thursday to Sunday with only 10kg hand luggage?

This trip is a surprise for my husband's 40th who has always wanted to see the Giants Causeway and we would fly in Thursday morning and get train to Dublin on Saturday to meet up with some friends there.

The other option is to only book one case but can you get away with that???

Thank you

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

Hi. Last year the memsahib and I spent 12 days in Spain with under 10 kilos each.

Last week I had 6 nights Tossa De Mar and took 5 kilos each.

You can certainly do 4 days ( 3 night ? ) with 10 kilos.

The first thing is to make sure that you case or bag is very light. No good taking 10 kilos if 5 kilos is the bag.

I used a "bag for life " from the supermarket . It was within the size restriction , weighed next to nothing and cost 49p.

You need a lot less "stuff" than you think.

Put out the minimum you think you need and then take half of it.

I take disposable razor , an old toothbrush and only part tube of toothpaste . Throw it all away before you return.

Travelling light is easier than it may seem.

Have a great time in Belfast ----- I did last year.

Graham

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

Is that 5kg each? That isn't a lot. That said I travelled in SE Asia for 3 weeks with a holdall weighing under 10kg but it wouldn't fit into one of those awful baggage sizing devices they get you to fit them into nowadays on a lot of flights..

To be honest, I'd pay for one case between the two of you to take out the stress factor and especially at that time of year, you're more likely to need extra layers, fleeces, warm i.e. bulker clothes in case of bad weather. You definitely don't need a case each.

That said, many people do get away with hand luggage only. The secret is to get it to the right dimensions and weight but wear your heaviest boots/shoes, layer up your clothing, stuff pockets if need be and take travel size toiletries. For the sake of £20-£25 for a case between 2 people, personally I think it's worth it but others would prefer to spend that money on a few pints of the black stuff in the Crown Bar!!

Edited: 1:52 pm, October 28, 2012
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

That would be 10 kilos each . That`s quite heavy .

Money aside , another advantage of taking hand luggage only is not having to queue up early at bag check in and waiting for it to be unloaded.

Ten kilos each id more than enough ----- with no stress.

Graham

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

I just did exactly that for a long weekend, wearing all the heavy stuff and carrying bare essentials in a large overnight over-the-shoulder bag. Its very liberating! It probably doesn't really matter, but you are on a scottish forum and not an irish one. The weather is probably going to be about the same; warm clothes currently required. Have fun!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

10 kg each is more than adequate, , just wear your coat and heaviest shoes, what on earth do you intend taking for four days? clean underwear and three pairs of socks plus a tee shirt doesnt weigh 10kg.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

Yes 10kg each is excellent and loads - it'll be getting things into the right sized bag that will be your only concern!

Edited: 5:14 pm, October 28, 2012
7. Re: 4 days in Feb/March in Belfast - is 10kg luggage enough???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 01, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ayr
Recent Conversations