We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
320 reviews
Save Topic
Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

Anyone been here for a meal recently?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,418 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

Not recently (ie in last 9 months), but been 2-3 times in the previous year. Always good, fair-sized portions. Reasonable prices. About 3 separate rooms to dine in, but still has a lot of character.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

Thanks Peter. I knew I wasn't alone on this forum in having enjoyed many a meal there in the distant past. OK I thought it was a bit quirky to be served the same 'pub salad' with both starter and main course, but the rest was pretty good and hey, salad IS good for you;-)

I've lost count of the number of times I've recommended it to people in search of a nice cozy pub supper, which makes it all the harder for me to say that I've just had the most awful visit. Everything that could possibly be wrong was wrong. I didn't even leave a tip and that never ever happens:(

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,418 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

you've got to call it as you see it. Is there a place for pub reviews on TA? What about a pub site like beerintheevening?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

Your right of course, but I'm kind of reluctant as it used to be one of my favourites. Perhaps I should do a review here in the restaurant section. I've calmed down a bit now, but I was pretty upset about it yesterday.

Thats life I suppose:-)

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

Hi guys:

I ahven't been in the Wheatsheaf for a while so looking for some advice - if you were hiring it out for a party what type of numbers do you think it could accomodate?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

Lots of different sized rooms, none especially big. Not really sure, sorry. How many people do you want to accommodate?

Why not give them a ring. I'd be interested to know how hospitable they sound.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

yes often 1st class food wholesome and fantastic

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

"yes often 1st class food wholesome and fantastic"

Good to know Annie. How recent was your visit and what did you eat if you don't mind me asking.

thanks

9. Re: Wheatsheaf Inn, Symington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2010